1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is the Black Princess a Prince?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by they'reHISchickens, Nov 8, 2010.

1. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    We have two 6-month old black orpingtons from Jody & Charlie's eggs. One we thought was a hen and named her the Black Princess. She was a victim of a very bad dog/fox/coyote attack on its back 2 months ago and lost ALL her tail feathers. Even now, s/he looks like she is tail-less! S/he is in a coop area with younger birds during the recovery period and gets along with them all. Yesterday we had her outside to roam a bit and she approached the rooster pen and hackles went up numerous times and s/he forcibly attacked the fence with 'spurs' up to get at the marans roosters in there. Is this possibly the behavior of a hen? We are thinking the princess is a prince since no hen in her right mind attacks roosters.
    On the other hand, the black orp we thought was a roo and is in the roo pen with marans roos is mellow and avoids all rooster conflict. S/he is starting to look more henlike in the face even though s/he had more comb originally. PLUS. there is more tail and glossy black feathers over the entire body, yet not enough to make us say ROO!.
    We are taking roos for processing tomorrow. What do you think? Is the princess a prince because of her behavior, and vice versa on the prince??
    I LOVE these orps but the sexing is driving us all crazy! These birds were hatched in May and we still aren't sure!

2. Payette

Payette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    Earth
    I'm not sure. Maybe try showing us some pics? [​IMG]

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I never took pics of the Prince/ss because s/he looked so very bad with a bare tail. It's just the past week that the back feathers have covered the tailhead! We were really lucky we didn't lose the bird and we thought it was a hen so we really tried to save it. S/he looks like a hen but the behavior is so odd. It really attacked the roos through the fence- feet and hackles raised, numerous times. We stood and watched in shock! Hens don't do that, do they?

4. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    they'reHISchickens :

I never took pics of the Prince/ss because s/he looked so very bad with a bare tail. It's just the past week that the back feathers have covered the tailhead! We were really lucky we didn't lose the bird and we thought it was a hen so we really tried to save it. S/he looks like a hen but the behavior is so odd. It really attacked the roos through the fence- feet and hackles raised, numerous times. We stood and watched in shock! Hens don't do that, do they?

No, hens do not do that.​

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

they'reHISchickens :

I have a BLRW hen that does that on occasion.​

6. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    It should be pretty obvious what sex they are by 6 months. Post some pictures, don't feel bad because one is missing some tail feathers! Accidents happen, we don't blame you!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, if hens are raised in a situation where they are Alpha (this bird with younger chicks) they will confront roosters. Not at all unusual for dominant hens to do this. Do not kill her? until you are sure of her gender.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by