Is the black silkie a roo?

Sevmeldim3

Chirping
Oct 30, 2023
Hi guys! I picked up a couple silkies today. The buff one I can tell is a girl but the black one has a pretty noticeable comb and small wattles. The guy said they were over 6 months but he wasn't sure who lays what with so many chickens. No crowing from the black one yet and he's pretty squatty. I wasn't going to leave the black one there...if he is a roo, he is the sweetest roo I've ever met. They both weren't handled a whole lot. Here's some pics...what do you think on the black one.
1000059737.jpg
20240413_141430.jpg
20240413_140501.jpg

I tend to lean that way too, but...usually, male silkie's combs look more like a walnut but that may just be your silky's genes, or it still could grow more. I can't tell but does he have any streamers (longer thin feathers) coming from his neck, that she doesn't have?

Generally, at 6 months, they are usually able to be sexed, so I'd think you would be hearing him crowing.

I have an old silkie hen with a comb that looks similar to his.

I tend to lean that way too, but...usually, male silkie's combs look more like a walnut but that may just be your silky's genes, or it still could grow more. I can't tell but does he have any streamers (longer thin feathers) coming from his neck, that she doesn't have?

Generally, at 6 months, they are usually able to be sexed, so I'd think you would be hearing him crowing.

No streamers...yet. So strange. No crowing. I may just have to wait for it to either lay or not. Lowest silkie on the totem pole for sure. Whichever it is, very sweet. So he or she is welcome to stay!

And thank you so much! I am so appreciative when people share their experiences!

Back
Top Bottom