is the lacing gene dominant or recessive?

I'm not sure there would be much to be gained by the cross. I think there would be some lacing but it would be untidy. The combination of genes causing lacing are, I believe, all incompletely dominant. Also I don't think lacing works well on e+ (from the welsumers).

Lacing is caused by Pg plus Ml. For the best lacing you need two copies of each, which you cannot get in the offspring of laced + non-laced parents.

If single lacing, as in Wyandotte, one also needs homozygous Co//Co (columbian).

Homozygous means both genes for the pair being the same -- from Greek 'homos' meaning 'same', & 'zygon' meaning 'yoke'.​

Last edited:
so what everyone is say then is the chicks will be solid colored but probaby carry the lacing gene.
I want to increase the darkness of the eggs produced by my dotties without losing the beautiful coloring.
any suggestions? (I want to because I really like the look of the chocolate eggs)

so what everyone is say then is the chicks will be solid colored but probaby carry the lacing gene.

Not really. Lacing is caused by a combination of genes. The lacing would show to some extent but it would be a bit of a mess. You would not get attractive birds from a first cross & it would probably take quite a while before you could get back to anything you'd want. That & keeping the dark egg colour would take a while.

This explains lacing .....

http://chickengenetics.edelras.nl/

(just over half way down the page on Poultry Mutations).
smile.png

Wyandottes are Brown eb based, as are dark egg laying Double Laced Barnevelders.
Single Laced Wyandottes are eb/eb Pg/Pg Ml/Ml Co/Co
Double Laced Barnevelders are eb/eb Pg/Pg Ml/Ml

Use Barnies rather than Welsumers, still get dark egg genes, and lacing.
The eb/eb Pg/Pg Ml/Ml Co/Co & eb/eb Pg/Pg Ml/Ml lacing combinations will not work on the e+ Welsummer.
David

I want to increase the darkness of the eggs produced by my dotties without losing the beautiful coloring.
any suggestions? (I want to because I really like the look of the chocolate eggs)
I get beautiful laced babies from my solid lavender Orphington rooster, blue-red laced Wyandotte hen and silver laced Orphington hen.

Back
Top Bottom