Is the Quail the Right Bird for Me?

Which bird do you think would be a good choice?

• Silkie

• Buff Orpington

• Other Chicken

• Quail

• Duck

• Other

• Dove

Results are only viewable after voting.
What kinds of duck are loving AND quiet? They don't need to be silent or anything, just shouldn't be able to hear them the next house over. I see Muscovies are pretty much the most recommended quiet ones, but I have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and the red tumor-like bulbs freak me out. I really like the look of Mallards (and the size) and Pekins, but looks aren't too important to me unless they have the tumor kind things sticking out of them like Muscovies.
You could get two little call DRAKES- not hens as they are very loud. The drakes are very quiet though. they weigh under two pounds and are as cute as can be. They might be feasible to keep indoors. just be sure that they have the option to submerse their head in water as this cleans out any bad stuff they might have on their face. (and get some outside time.) Birds make great pets, Good luck!
https://www.google.com/search?q=cal...Q_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=750#imgrc=NhYBXKJL24lP

I didn't read all the replies, but from your wants and your list at the top, silkies would be a good fit. They are calm, gentle birds. If you get it as a chick and hand raise it, it will be very friendly and sweet. Quail are super flighty. Ducks are friendly, but messy as all get out, so not good for indoor living. Orpingtons are nice, but big. I have no experience with doves, but I doubt they'll want to sit on your lap and be pet. Silkies make a cute, sweet, small pet, and would do fine inside. I'd get two so they can keep each other company while you're away.

Thank you all so much. I am definitely not getting a quail. I am either getting a Silkie, or a duck, but I'm gonna have to do some more research to decide between the two, and what kind of duck I want. While you're here though, do any of you know how I could make a cheap incubator (under $10)? I built a little one by making a little box out of styrofoam. Making a hole on the top of the lid, putting aluminum foil on the floor of it, and putting a lamp over the lid with the hole in it, but I don't know if this can get up to 100 degrees, which is what I need.

You need high, stable temps, but you also need high, stable humidity. You'll need a reliable thermometer and hydrometer, which in themselves will run you over $10. I'd suggest saving up until you can afford something that's certain to work, rather than juryrigging an extremely cheap thing that might kill your eggs and cost you money, time, and sadness.
Remember to get multiple birds, they're social animals and cannot be kept alone even if you interact with them frequently.

My Coturnix quail are sweet and curious and friendly, much friendlier than our chickens, even the ones we handled a lot as chicks. They constantly stand in the way when I clean them out and have been known to fall out of their cage trying to get to me when I open the door. They love being hand fed treats. Some of mine really enjoy being patted too. Certain colours are more docile than others. You could keep a couple of females in an indoor rabbit/guinea pig cage. They are dusty birds (but then so are chickens and ducks).

Other species of quail are not as domesticated so aren't a good choice pet-wise.

My Coturnix quail are sweet and curious and friendly, much friendlier than our chickens, even the ones we handled a lot as chicks. They constantly stand in the way when I clean them out and have been known to fall out of their cage trying to get to me when I open the door. They love being hand fed treats. Some of mine really enjoy being patted too. Certain colours are more docile than others. You could keep a couple of females in an indoor rabbit/guinea pig cage. They are dusty birds (but then so are chickens and ducks).

Other species of quail are not as domesticated so aren't a good choice pet-wise.
Did you do anything to make them friendly? I have coturnix that I got as adults and they are super flighty. They act like I'm going to murder them every time I open the cage. I do like watching them dust bathe and peck around. But I don't handle them because they are so against it.

Which colours are the more docile?

Back
Top Bottom