Is the warm weather throwing your chickens off in a good way?

NicInNC

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 23, 2008
North Carolina
I usually only get 2 eggs a day this time of year from my chickens and my EE's NEVER lay in the winter. It's been unseasonably warm here and I'm getting more eggs than I've ever gotten this time of year! I went out today and had a total of 10 eggs and 2 of them were from my EE's!

Is anyone else getting more eggs than usual because of the warm temps where you normally have cold temps this time of year?

Quote:
Maybe the warm weather doesn't have anything to do with it then. Hmmm...wonder what's got mine laying so well? I'm not complaining, I'm just really surprised when I got out there and their boxes have lots of eggs in them. Last winter they would go days without laying. We did just gut out their coop, spray it all out, clean it from top to bottom and added shavings instead of sand.....and we also repositioned their run. Maybe they're excited about all the new stuff.
lol.png

I had issues with low egg production also. I was getting only 2 or 3 eggs per day the first part of December. After I got my light timers reset to give the girls 16 hours of light per day I was getting 8 or 9 eggs per day by the first of the new year. It has been nice and warm here the last three days mid 50s during the day and only low to mid 40s at night. I got 15 eggs yesterday and 18 eggs today. So I think the warmer weather is helping a great deal.
smile.png

My EE isn't laying, but everyone else is laying an egg a day pretty much. I thought they were done until spring, I'm not planning on telling them it's still winter. I'm stockpiling eggs in case winter returns to normal and they stop again.
smile.png
I don't want to have to buy eggs, lol.

Definitely notice lower production in cold and dreary days. Better weather = higher production.

This is with no artificial lights.

Back
Top Bottom