Is ther a cockatiel/budgie equivelant to BYC?

My cockatiel is not well and I'm too far away to take him to a vet right now. Is there anywhere I could go for help online?
Talkbudgies forum was good for me, but not sure how active it is now. But BYC is also a good place to get help! Many people here are very knowledgeable and can help you. I suggest you tell us what problems you are facing with your cockatiel in detail. Then it'll be possible to help you to the best of our capabilities.

Talkbudgies forum was good for me, but not sure how active it is now. But BYC is also a good place to get help! Many people here are very knowledgeable and can help you. I suggest you tell us what problems you are facing with your cockatiel in detail. Then it'll be possible to help you to the best of our capabilities.
Thank you very much @Zoohtasim ! Will do.

I know there are a few such as TalkBudgies, AvianAvene, and Parrot Forums. I'm not sure how active they are but probably worth checking out. You can also ask your question here and we'll do the best we can to help you.

Hi all. It was suggested from another member of BYC that I post thus question here as there are many knowledgeable people who could help.

My cockatiel (JubeJube) has suddenly become quite lethargic. He was fine yesterday (maybe a bit quieter that usual) climbing his cage, flying, eating, drinking, playing singing,etc... I have never owned a cockatiel before, buy I do have a budgie and a goose. I have had JubeJube for just over a week so I've not had much time to get to know his personality, idiosyncrasies, etc... He usually flies and climbs around the cage talking to all the other birds, but niw he is very quite, sitting on the towel at the bottom of his cage, and closing is eyes quite a lot. His breathing seems relatively normal. He's yawning frequently and every few breaths, he'll breathe with his mouth open. He has been sneezing on and off since I got him. He would sneeze three or four times in a row (I read that they can do that after cleaning themselves because they have a lot of dander). Now he'll sneeze maybe six, seven, even eight times in a row. I think that the sneezing is also a combination of hissing because he'll do it when he gets a fright too (like, if I move too quickly, etc...)

I've also had to move the room he was in, so it's possible that the stress is getting to him? I'm not sure. My goose had avian flu in late January of this year and he survived buy I really know what a sick bird looks like, and JubeJube looks sick.

He's very skittish and I live quite far out of town, so I don't think that taking him to the vet is the best idea because even getting him into a smaller cage would be traumatic. I rescued him from his previous owners and I think they must have mistreated him. He's scared of people (he dosnt mind me too much, but still flaps around and shakes when I replace his food and water in the morning and evening), cars, hands, etc...

I have antibiotics and prebiotic for parrots and budgies and have been giving him the recommended dose, but I only started last night when he was already not looking well. I've also put in the sun for some time today and he has a light sheet over three sides of the cage. He goes through phases of looking a little healthier and then really not looking well. I have also taken all my other birds away from him and given them and a small preventative dose of antibiotics followed by a recommended dose of probiotic with vitamins. None of them are showing the same symptoms as JubeJube.

Is there anything else I can do?

Hi all. It was suggested from another member of BYC that I post thus question here as there are many knowledgeable people who could help.

My cockatiel (JubeJube) has suddenly become quite lethargic. He was fine yesterday (maybe a bit quieter that usual) climbing his cage, flying, eating, drinking, playing singing,etc... I have never owned a cockatiel before, buy I do have a budgie and a goose. I have had JubeJube for just over a week so I've not had much time to get to know his personality, idiosyncrasies, etc... He usually flies and climbs around the cage talking to all the other birds, but niw he is very quite, sitting on the towel at the bottom of his cage, and closing is eyes quite a lot. His breathing seems relatively normal. He's yawning frequently and every few breaths, he'll breathe with his mouth open. He has been sneezing on and off since I got him. He would sneeze three or four times in a row (I read that they can do that after cleaning themselves because they have a lot of dander). Now he'll sneeze maybe six, seven, even eight times in a row. I think that the sneezing is also a combination of hissing because he'll do it when he gets a fright too (like, if I move too quickly, etc...)

I've also had to move the room he was in, so it's possible that the stress is getting to him? I'm not sure. My goose had avian flu in late January of this year and he survived buy I really know what a sick bird looks like, and JubeJube looks sick.

He's very skittish and I live quite far out of town, so I don't think that taking him to the vet is the best idea because even getting him into a smaller cage would be traumatic. I rescued him from his previous owners and I think they must have mistreated him. He's scared of people (he dosnt mind me too much, but still flaps around and shakes when I replace his food and water in the morning and evening), cars, hands, etc...

I have antibiotics and prebiotic for parrots and budgies and have been giving him the recommended dose, but I only started last night when he was already not looking well. I've also put in the sun for some time today and he has a light sheet over three sides of the cage. He goes through phases of looking a little healthier and then really not looking well. I have also taken all my other birds away from him and given them and a small preventative dose of antibiotics followed by a recommended dose of probiotic with vitamins. None of them are showing the same symptoms as JubeJube.

Is there anything else I can do?
Because you got him not long ago, this is a difficult case. Keep JubeJube separated from your other birds. You don't know what infectious disease it may carry. Where did you get him from? Also you may consider adding vitamins to his water. Does his condition get worse at night? I never owned cockatiels but these are some base level things I know. I hope he recovers tho ❤️

So sorry to here about your cockatiel. :hugs It sounds to me like he may have a repository infection.

What does his poop look like? Any discharge around the eyes or nose? Has his eating and drinking increased or decreased?

Birds often don't show noticeable symptoms until they are very sick. I hope that he gets better.

Because you got him not long ago, this is a difficult case. Keep JubeJube separated from your other birds. You don't know what infectious disease it may carry. Where did you get him from? Also you may consider adding vitamins to his water. Does his condition get worse at night? I never owned cockatiels but these are some base level things I know. I hope he recovers tho ❤️
Thank you. Yes, I have separated him from my other birds. I rescued him from a lady I saw online. I knew it was a risk, but he looked so desperate. He doss seem to get worse at night. Do you know what that means?

Back
Top Bottom