Is there a 'best incubator for quail' thread?

chickenshet

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Hi there! I want to buy an incubator for under $100 that works best for quail eggs and I can't seem to find the thread on recommendations through the search box or in the FAQ sticky. Sorry for the inconvenience but if anyone who is more proficient at navigating the forum could find it for me, I would really appreciate it. :) If there isn't such a thread, I would love to hear what your recommendations are.
Thanks!!
Mary

Can't you just use a normal incubator? I just bought the hova bator 1602N with an egg turner off eBay, I am still waiting for my quail eggs to come so I can't say how we'll it works, but I'm assuming it will be okay. I think it cost about $85.

If you ask 4 different members, you will get 4 different opinions.

Just curious, are you planning to raise chickens and quail together?

BTW, Interesting login name, is that "chicken shet" or "chickens het"

$1.25

Last edited:
I built 2 and they worked well but for the last 5-6 years I have used HB's and they work really well I added fans and auto turners and Digatal t-stats I constantly get a 80-95% hatch rate with my own eggs with shipped eggs it falls to 40-60% hatch rate

Thanks for you help everyone, so the Hovabator is a pretty good incubator for quail? I just want to make sure I get one that is can hold and turn the eggs. :) I will start searching for a Hovabator unless anyone has reason otherwise.
James the bald, LOL no - my chickens have their own coop and my quail have a nice cage about 10 feet away. :) I have never hatched, but I have a few friends who are interested in keeping quail so I thought I would incubate some of the eggs for them. My kids will really get a kick out of it too. As for the login name, after entering in about 5 different usernames which were all in use, I wrote in chickenshet as in chicken shet (for the humor) and it was accepted. ;)

I use a hovabater with quail turner but have a homemade hatcher for lockdown to keep the hovabater cleam. I have 100 in hatching provess right now-, 38 hatvjrd so far tonight

Quote:
It doesn't count if you bait them, James!
wink.png

I have so say I love my Brinsea20. It is slightly more then your budget, I think $130ish from Amazon but I was a complete newbie with hatching and my first results was 52/60 hatch from shipped bobwhites. I have since then hatched several hundred coturnix with great results and have bought a second one. A family member bought the hovabator and they have had to do a lot more fussing to get things stable. I can literally set them and forget it since I've upgraded to automatic turner.

Back
Top Bottom