Is there a breed for me?

Pics

Halfpasthen

Songster
Jan 29, 2019
South Louisiana
Hello and thank you in advance! I'd also like to apologize now for any rambling in this post. After a lot of research about the chicken for me, my head is spinning.

I have read many articles regarding appropriate breeds but honestly, everything seems contradictory. Perhaps it would be best if I listed my limitations and what I can offer a flock. I am hoping someone can advise me.

My situation:
I live in a suburb in the Deep South. I have neighbors relatively close and need a quieter breed. It is VERY hot and humid (zone 9), most of the year.
I would like to set up two runs on either side of my back yard so I could rotate the flock back and forth. Each run would about about 20ftx7ft and 5ft tall (coop in each). Both runs would be surrounded by oak and fig trees and I will be planting lots of chicken friendly plants. My point being that they will have lots of shade to escape the heat but I am unsure if that's enough.

I currently have a 4ft chain link fence but will be installing a 6ft privacy fence before we get chickens. I work from home and would LOVE to let them run around my yard when I am out to watch them. But I really would prefer birds that won't fly over the fence. It's bad enough when my dog hops into their yards lol.
But I also need them to be able to bear confinement. I don't want miserable cooped birds.

I have a son who will be 2-3 when we get chicks. So friendly chickens would be a big plus. At least not overly nervous birds.

My main goal in keeping chickens is egg production. I would LOVE blue, green or any shade of brown. But that just a preference. Dual purpose breeds would be a plus.

In conclusion. I only want 6 chickens preferably. Either all the same breed or 2 different breeds (3 of each). Heat tolerant, egg producing, friendly, quiet, different color eggs, too fat to fly over a fence, okay with confinement. Is there a chicken that has it all? What sacrifices would you make if you can't have it all?

Buff Orpingtons are friendly, amazing layers, brown eggs, heat tolerant(in my experience).
Easter Eggers are usually friendly, lay green eggs, okay layers, and heat tolerant(in my experience).

I am happy to hear that you have had success keeping orpingtons in the heat as that was the only downside I could find with this breed.

If I am getting a small flock would 3 orpingtons and 3 Easter eggers be okay? Or would you recommend all of the same breed with such a small flock?

Leghorns are the most flighty chicken you can get (besides bantams) in my experience, they will get over that fence so fast you won’t have time to blink. Some Easter Eggers put on weight but a lot of them are very light and in my experiences they are escape artists

Oof that's good to know. I just pictured myself having to chase a chicken down my street like it's Mardi Gras.

I've never even heard of those. Thank you for the recommendation.

Hello and thank you in advance! I'd also like to apologize now for any rambling in this post. After a lot of research about the chicken for me, my head is spinning.

I have read many articles regarding appropriate breeds but honestly, everything seems contradictory. Perhaps it would be best if I listed my limitations and what I can offer a flock. I am hoping someone can advise me.

My situation:
I live in a suburb in the Deep South. I have neighbors relatively close and need a quieter breed. It is VERY hot and humid (zone 9), most of the year.
I would like to set up two runs on either side of my back yard so I could rotate the flock back and forth. Each run would about about 20ftx7ft and 5ft tall (coop in each). Both runs would be surrounded by oak and fig trees and I will be planting lots of chicken friendly plants. My point being that they will have lots of shade to escape the heat but I am unsure if that's enough.

I currently have a 4ft chain link fence but will be installing a 6ft privacy fence before we get chickens. I work from home and would LOVE to let them run around my yard when I am out to watch them. But I really would prefer birds that won't fly over the fence. It's bad enough when my dog hops into their yards lol.
But I also need them to be able to bear confinement. I don't want miserable cooped birds.

I have a son who will be 2-3 when we get chicks. So friendly chickens would be a big plus. At least not overly nervous birds.

My main goal in keeping chickens is egg production. I would LOVE blue, green or any shade of brown. But that just a preference. Dual purpose breeds would be a plus.

In conclusion. I only want 6 chickens preferably. Either all the same breed or 2 different breeds (3 of each). Heat tolerant, egg producing, friendly, quiet, different color eggs, too fat to fly over a fence, okay with confinement. Is there a chicken that has it all? What sacrifices would you make if you can't have it all?

Here is an article to help you choose the right breed for you. Download the breed chart inside and note the characteristics you desire and will tolerate your environment. You can download on desktop the zip file. Click it open. Hope this helps!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/choosing-the-right-breed-for-you.74446/

Back
Top Bottom