Is there a breed for me?

Even my big fat buff Orpington can make it over a 5' fence.

Hawks and coons and fox will come in from above. The best way to keep birds in is to put a lid on the run. Wire, netting or solid will keep birds in. Wire or solid will keep predators out, netting will not.

That's great to know regarding netting. The runs will be completely enclosed. But I wanted to be able to let them run around the yard while I'm supervising and will only have a 6ft privacy fence around that.

Most likely the hens will want to get out of their run but if you have netting over it then it won’t be a problem.
I use a premier 1 electric poultry net(I don’t electrify it) on nice days so they can get some grass. I don’t like to free range because sometimes my hens get lost and dont turn up till days later. And my neighbors say it’s fine for the chickens to be in their yard but I don’t want the chickens to destroy their yard.
The net is only 4 feet with some sagging also, but the chickens never fly over it so you should be fine if you have plenty of grass for the chickens to eat.

Most likely the hens will want to get out of their run but if you have netting over it then it won’t be a problem.
I use a premier 1 electric poultry net(I don’t electrify it) on nice days so they can get some grass. I don’t like to free range because sometimes my hens get lost and dont turn up till days later. And my neighbors say it’s fine for the chickens to be in their yard but I don’t want the chickens to destroy their yard.
The net is only 4 feet with some sagging also, but the chickens never fly over it so you should be fine if you have plenty of grass for the chickens to eat.
Yes, their run will be secure. And I have a big thick green lawn that grows too fast lol. I've been reading up on the amberlinks and they really seem to fit the bill. Thank you again.

I am happy to hear that you have had success keeping orpingtons in the heat as that was the only downside I could find with this breed.

If I am getting a small flock would 3 orpingtons and 3 Easter eggers be okay? Or would you recommend all of the same breed with such a small flock?
You could get many breeds, I have at least 6 at a time;)

Buff Orpingtons for sure. Amberlinks and Red Stars, both sexlinked birds are good. My Red Star is friendlier than the Amberlink, but she is an egg powerhouse! All three of these breeds are fine with confinement.

My EE is of the lighter version (weight, not color) and would not stay in a fence. She’s one of several of mine who scale a fence, fly up in a tree, and even fly 30-40 feet with no problem at all. Not too fond of confinement.

My Cochin is very sweet and large enough to stay grounded. I am in Central Alabama (Zone 7) and she does fine in the heat here. The Cochins are heavily feathered, but then again so are Orpingtons. Cochins would be fine confined as well.

The first breeds I thought of were Buff Orps and Easter Eggers, but don't forget to look into Barred Rocks and Speckled or Light Sussex. My BR was the sweetest chicken ever and I've heard such amazing things about Speckled Sussex that I want to get that breed in the future. If you can't decide, you could always go with a mixed flock. Similar dual-purpose breeds get along fine even in a very small flock, especially if they're raised together from chicks. The most problems arise when the birds are not similar... like mixing crested Polish, silkies or bantams with other large fowl.

Any chicken is capable of flying over a fence, so a secure covered run is a great idea. If you're worried about escape from your backyard, you could always clip one wing. One of my little EEs would fly over the gate from their chicken yard to my backyard, but once I clipped, she never tried it again. And in nearly 3 years of chicken keeping and letting them free range in my small suburban backyard, I've never had a single bird try to fly over the fence to escape, clipped or not. They love being on the grass! Even loose in the front yard with no fence, they never wander too far.

If you're thinking about building 2 runs to rotate between, why not make them connected to a single coop with a pop door on each end? That's how I built mine (see link under my avatar). It makes it easy for me to integrate new birds, or keep one separate if I need to. The expense of building multiple coops and runs can add up quick. Why do you want to rotate runs? To keep the grass green? Unfortunately, I think even just a few chickens will have that space all worn down over time... they are notorious destroyers of greenery. Nothing wrong with one larger run and using deep litter, it's very easy maintenance. Plus you will end up with some amazing compost!

Keep in mind that all chickens will decrease their egg production over time, especially during winter and molting season... some may even stop laying entirely after just a few years. If you're willing to rotate your flock regularly, this article may give you some ideas:
A 3 Year Chicken Rotation to Optimize Year-Round Laying

Good luck with your planning!

I live in Austin TX and it gets over 100 for days on end during the summer. As long as the chickens have plenty of fresh water, shade, and places to take dirt baths they do remarkably well. My Buff Orpington and easter eggers were fine.

I agree with the flight risk though. Even my tiny bantam can clear my back fence given enough motivation.

Back
Top Bottom