Is there a breed for me?

You have plenty of time to research and gather more opinions, so no rush to figure out the exact plan yet. Everyone's situation is different, and what works great for one may not be the best for another.

Your idea of moving the runs around is called a tractor. I personally never saw the point, usually because they have to be small enough to lift & move, and that means a small area for your birds to hang out all day. And ones made from lightweight pvc pipes will become brittle and break after being exposed to sun and cold temps. Not very long lasting.

I can tell you in observing my own free ranging birds all day, they spend little time on the actual grass. They're mostly dust bathing in the garden beds, preening on my patio, scratching up my landscape, perching on my lawn chairs or going back to the run to get food.
View attachment 1657771

I think if you can build one large run and let them out to the grass occasionally, just an hour or 2 in the evening, they will be super happy. Deep litter is by far the easiest maintenance program, if you can keep it covered. If exposed to rain it'll become a slimy mess. Start shallow, add more dry bedding as they poop, they scratch and turn it, a little micro ecosystem is formed that brings in beneficial microbes and other bugs and yummies for your chickens to snack on, all while compost action is happening and you keep adding more litter. You only clean it out once a year (but leave some behind to jump start the next batch). Because there's always fresh poop and recent litter, the old bedding is not finished compost. I move mine to a separate bin where it can finish composting another 6-12 months, then it's the richest most beautiful garden soil you can get. It takes a while to get started but it becomes a sustainable rotation.

As far as ammonia fumes in the coop, make sure you have really good ventilation. Really good. If you can make a poop tray under the roosts and fill it with Sweet PDZ... ammonia fumes are practically nonexistent. PDZ is a sandy-type stall refresher, you scoop it out like cat litter, and it's also compostable.

There's a lot of info out there about deep litter, but don't mix DE (diatomaceous earth) with it. It can actually damage the microbes you're trying to bring in.

Yes. You are right. And I clearly need the time too because you brought up several up a lot of issues I hadn't considered

But it makes sense. You see, the reason I'm so concerned about the ammonia and poo is because of an experience I have with a friend.
She lives about an hour from me (doesn't have the restrictions I do) and has a flock of about a dozen birds. And when you walk into her back yard the smell will knock you out.

I think it's a combination of poor coop design. And from what you've said, a lack of litter. It rains at least once a week here and her yard doesn't drain well.
So going forward I will make sure to focus my research on coop design and preparing the spot for the run as best I can.
It would be lovely to have a slightly bigger flock than 6 but I always attributed the odor and muddy poo run to the number of birds. Seems like perhaps it's more a design and maintenance issue....

PDZ is written in my chicken notebook now lol. Wonder if I can use it in my litter box lol.

I'm gonna throw Welsummers in as a possible breed choice that often get overlooked. My birds have all been fairly friendly, and they lay amazing dark brown or speckled eggs. They seem to be reasonably heat-tolerant (MPC seems to indicate that as well... I'm going off experience).

Leghorns as others have said are very heat-tolerant but they can be flighty - truthfully, most Mediterranean breeds are... including Sicilian Buttercups, Leghorns, and Andalusians (They've also got quite the lungs in them. You'll know when one had laid!). Most Plymouth Rocks seem to tolerate heat well, and are fairly friendly. Supposedly things like phoenix, yokohama, and sumatra weather the heat really well, but I haven't heard anything about those birds being friendly (Also haven't raised any, either). Most seem to be stand-offish or skittish.

As others have said, you have time to research!

I've read that Sicilian Buttercups can be flighty. That just isn't my experience. But then they're supposed to lay white eggs and the ones I get are definitely not white. They're a very pretty pale pink. I also don't see anyone else remark on their feathers and my Sadie's are just a joy to touch. I swear if you were blindfolded you Would. Not. Know. you were touching feathers.

But she's from My Pet Chicken and I trust their breeding and integrity. Plus she's a picture book SB so maybe she's just unusual. In any case, I bought her for the novelty of her comb and she's become my favorite.

I know leghorns have a bad rap but mine doesn't even try to get over our 4 foot fence but you wouldn't get the colorful eggs. The wyandottes fly around more than her. I don't remember having chickens much as a kid but my mom swears the barred rocks and brahmas were the best ones we had as far as laying all year and being friendly. I was really little and she has pics of me with a big Brahma rooster.

You might want to consider Jersey Giants , Bielefelder, Swedish Flower Hen, crested Cream Legbar or Isbar

Legbar and Isbar lay colored eggs but they are smaller large fowl.

I'm gonna throw Welsummers in as a possible breed choice that often get overlooked. My birds have all been fairly friendly, and they lay amazing dark brown or speckled eggs. They seem to be reasonably heat-tolerant (MPC seems to indicate that as well... I'm going off experience).

Leghorns as others have said are very heat-tolerant but they can be flighty - truthfully, most Mediterranean breeds are... including Sicilian Buttercups, Leghorns, and Andalusians (They've also got quite the lungs in them. You'll know when one had laid!). Most Plymouth Rocks seem to tolerate heat well, and are fairly friendly. Supposedly things like phoenix, yokohama, and sumatra weather the heat really well, but I haven't heard anything about those birds being friendly (Also haven't raised any, either). Most seem to be stand-offish or skittish.

As others have said, you have time to research!

Wish I could have a rooster. The male Welsummers are gorgeous!

It does make it difficult when there is a lot of conflicting information. But everybody's birds are kept in different conditions and have different personalities. I know there aren't any guarantees! Thank you for your input.

I've read that Sicilian Buttercups can be flighty. That just isn't my experience. But then they're supposed to lay white eggs and the ones I get are definitely not white. They're a very pretty pale pink. I also don't see anyone else remark on their feathers and my Sadie's are just a joy to touch. I swear if you were blindfolded you Would. Not. Know. you were touching feathers.

But she's from My Pet Chicken and I trust their breeding and integrity. Plus she's a picture book SB so maybe she's just unusual. In any case, I bought her for the novelty of her comb and she's become my favorite.

She's precious! A strong contender. Good to know you've had a good experience with that hatchery.

I know leghorns have a bad rap but mine doesn't even try to get over our 4 foot fence but you wouldn't get the colorful eggs. The wyandottes fly around more than her. I don't remember having chickens much as a kid but my mom swears the barred rocks and brahmas were the best ones we had as far as laying all year and being friendly. I was really little and she has pics of me with a big Brahma rooster.
You know when I was a child my mother got the idea to get chickens. Got a dozen or so dyed leghorn chicks for Easter ‍♀️
Naturally every one of them was a rooster so they all got eaten. But I have the fondest memories of those birds lol. They were so used to being handled that I would carry them around the yard and have a grand time.

You might want to consider Jersey Giants , Bielefelder, Swedish Flower Hen, crested Cream Legbar or Isbar

Legbar and Isbar lay colored eggs but they are smaller large fowl.

Interesting! I will add those to my list to research. You guys have been fantastic!
I now have a list of over 20! heat tolerant birds. From there I will narrow down by egg production/color and temperament.

Mediterranean breeds all have good heat tolerance. Some people do not prefer the personalities. Though all are flighty to a rule, and lay there are some out there who have some level of attraction and personality.
Remember, there may be others with equally great features, I will just explain my own.

Anconas! Huge white eggs. They are black and white, an attractive pattern, and have big floppy single combs. Though flighty, their fear of you won't bring the death of them. They actually don't mind people so much and are actually very curious. When the Anconas I owned were younger, one jumped on my shoulders. Good fliers, but only use this skill when roosting. They can slip in 2x8 feet of space in the chicken tractor, vertically flying.
I sold all but two, but now wish I had more. I used to own the roosters as well. Those were nothing special.
Sicilian Buttercups! I only own one Buttercup bantam, but I know many hatcheries offer the largefowl ones. I suggest Buttercups because they are extremely attractive and have huge, beautiful cup shaped combs and a unique, attractive pattern. The comb is a fault in my climate, but it will be an advantage in yours. Maybe it's only the bantams, but though it is not friendly, with no human interaction, she hasn't shown fear of us. She lays small cream eggs. I honestly prefer the white eggs, but it's ok. She's just a bantam.
Lastly, I'd suggest cream Legbars.
I don't own the breed so can't say anything about the personality. However, with a large single comb it is hardy, and it lays blue eggs. Another plus, Legbars are autosexing.

Back
Top Bottom