Is there a certain time of year that buff orps go broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tazzy, Apr 11, 2009.

1. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    My Buff Orpington hens went broody three times last summer - in May and again in June. When they tried in July, we said no and took the eggs.

But I'm not sure which of the hens were the broody ones, and when they'll do it again. Do they naturally wait until the weather warms up a little? (We live in Kentucky, so the nighttime temps are still dropping to the 30's and 40's some nights.)

And how many times will the same hen go broody in a year?

Thanks!

2. rockin_chick32

rockin_chick32 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    There isn't really a certain time a hen will go broody, my OE started in the winter.

However---I have noticed mine are more likely that they will go broody in the warmth of spring and summer. I THINK it MIGHT be because of their instincts of survival. They know that it is harder for the chicks to survive in the cold so they don't do it as much. This isn't proven though.

The hen will go broody as many times as it feels like.[​IMG] They are stubborn that way. My silkies (Female AND Male), go broody almost every day... lol![​IMG]:

If you want to be able to tell which are getting broody, mark them with a blue or green washable marker on their head or wing feathers.(wing feathers may be harder to get to, but it stays longer and is less likely to be pecked.)

If you want to stop a Hen from being broody, USUALLY taking their eggs away works, but some can be stubborn and stay no matter what. In this case, put her in a cage with a wire bottom and no place to nest. Make sure she has food and water, and she will soon become bored and give up. Other people have better descriptions of this, I'll try to find them for you if you like!

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by