Is there a chance to put a year old hen in with chics to mother

MIchic

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2020
Had coyote come through and took out seven chickens in 24 hours, with 1 Buckeye hen survived. We are going to get new chicks but my question is, would it be possible to see if she will integrate herself in with them a mothering nature? I would like to start orienting them as chics and The Coop might be big enough to set up chicks in a separate cage but be a barrier from her but it's still cold in Michigan so was wondering if I could put her in with them in like a large dog crate in the garage? I also don't want her out in the coop by yourself as it will be stressful for her. We had to go out of town right after this occurred and so our neighbors put her in with their four to five month old pullets and she did fine.

I haven’t had this happen to me, but my understanding is a hen with only act mothering when she’s broody and has the mothering hormones running through her. Otherwise she just views them as new chickens and will seek to establish peeking order and such. Being small, she might damage or even kill them. Best bet is keep them together but separated so each can learn that they are going to be a flock and slowly sort things out. Also keep in mind the new chicks will be growing and still learning behavior and how to be a chicken, and hormones will kick in at some point.

EDIT: What 21hens said!

The Coop might be big enough to set up chicks in a separate cage but be a barrier from her but it's still cold in Michigan
Yes, it is...and they will need heat, even in the garage.
I would not count on the remaining hen to 'mother' the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom