Is there a cheaper way?

just4fun

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 12, 2008
I'm looking for the cheapest way to feed laying hens. I currently buy Naturewise Layer crumbles for $12.99 a bag. It doesn't last long enough!

I have wondered about that for quite some time!

My various critters get several different types of feed.

I use Layer pellets, Meat Bird, Sweet feed (horse feed) and dog food mixed all together for my chickens and ducks and geese.
Sweet feed is cheaper(6.49) than layer pellets and the dog food is high in protein. Great for the turkeys too. They pick thru what they like best!
Alot of scraps and free ranging helps too. If they are in pen just gather up grass, clover and dandelion greens and give them...I use sissors and cut up fine so they don't get impacted crop..
Also fruit trees are ripe in our orchard and each morning I carry a bucket and knife to cut up their treats.
The grape vines are full so I shake them and the birds come running!.......
Leftover bread is a wonderful treat. I know several people who go to day old stores and get it for their birds....

? what do you mean sprout it in trays - how do you do that? I currently just throw them scratch and they love it but if I could do something even better with it that would be cool.

vegie scraps go over big in my coop, except I don't give them anything potato. I've always been told not to give any potato to them so I don't. Also I usually grow so much more than I can use or give away that my birds get a lot from the gardens and they love it.

Oh, I used to do that with wheat for our chickens in winter. I'd sprinkle a single layer in a flat plastic container with a ridged bottom & a lid, moisten it with a little water (not so much that's it's swimming) & cover lightly with a paper towel to keep the grains moist. I'd put on the lid and check it every day, adding a little bit more water to keep moist. If needed, you can tip it back and forth to make sure the grains get moistened. In just a few days it would have sprouted and I'd feed it to our chickens. They LOVED it and it really boosts the nutritional value. I should get back into that - thanks for the reminder!

BTW, you can buy sprouters, but they don't have that much room, and who needs an extra, unneeded expense?

Quote:
It is true that biological availability of nutrients is better through sprouting. Not to mention your seed mix goes 2 - 3x further. I use huge trays due to the number of chickens we have here.

Back
Top Bottom