Is there a difference between Light vs Speckled Sussex?

I think a sussex is a sussex, just different clothes.

I have had light sussex and speckled sussex. Neither were aggressive enough to stand up to my bar rocks and rhode islands. Their time with me was short. They were all brought up together from chicks. Sussex are just laid back and not at all aggressive from my finding. I wound up selling them about 3 months after they started laying. Just too much unrest for my liking.

I think a sussex is a sussex, just different clothes.

I have had light sussex and speckled sussex. Neither were aggressive enough to stand up to my bar rocks and rhode islands. Their time with me was short. They were all brought up together from chicks. Sussex are just laid back and not at all aggressive from my finding. I wound up selling them about 3 months after they started laying. Just too much unrest for my liking.
By unrest, you mean just too much of them being bullied by the others?

Exactly. The Sussex pullets (two each) were too nice and easy going. If I was to have a flock of Sussex chickens I imagine quiet and peaceful.

Instead I have a horde of monsters that argue over roost spots every night and peck and pull any that are trying for treats in wrong order.

I love my flock but they’re two ends of the spectrum in my eyes. (That and I like the egg output from RR and BR chickens)

I much prefer the Light, as my speckled is small and skittish, rather than nice and well-rounded and friendly. However, I think thats more down to the individual strain, rather than the colour.
But all Sussex are very nice in my opinion.

Exactly. The Sussex pullets (two each) were too nice and easy going. If I was to have a flock of Sussex chickens I imagine quiet and peaceful.

Instead I have a horde of monsters that argue over roost spots every night and peck and pull any that are trying for treats in wrong order.

I love my flock but they’re two ends of the spectrum in my eyes. (That and I like the egg output from RR and BR chickens)
Thanks!
Also, what does RR and BR stand for? (sorry, still learning abbreviations).

Back
Top Bottom