Is there a "failed hatch troubleshooting" pictorial?

Barnmaradotte

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2011
eugene
I'm getting kinda stumped. Some egg's hatch in a textbook manner. Others in the same hatch die after lockdown. Upon opening them I find malpositions of various degrees. Also a couple had a gel like layer around them. It comes off easily, but it seems potentially suffocating? I'm getting about %65 hatch rate on shipped egg's but these failure's baffle me. This last hatch was 43% during incubation and 70% at lockdown. Then went to 75% after some chicks took longer to hatch after pip.

Sounds like your humidity is to high. sticky chick? I'm no expert, hopefully someone with more experience might chime in.

I don't know if there is such a thing, I've searched and failed to find it. I think part of the problem is that a lot of things can be a lot of things. There's some stuff that tracks pretty well with high or low temperature or humidity(which you could have going on, see if any of the other signs apply), and head in small end malpositions often relate to egg orientation, but others can be turning, parent flock issues, late temperature fluctuations, handling. Practically anything that interferes with development seems to be able to do it. And shipped eggs have big unknowns in handling and parent flock.
I've found a couple of pdfs that talk about it, and there's some good direction in there for some things, maybe they'll be useful to you.

Attachments

• AA20400.pdf
    530.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 8127.pdf
    111.4 KB · Views: 1
Malpositions are caused by too high of humidity during incubation right?
Turning is automatic at 6x a day. I can set my humidity super easy. So if it is humidity, I'm baffled. I wouldn't think 43% is too high. Even at that my air cells were huge. Is it possible for air cells to be too big for a chick to turn or do what it needs to do?

Back
Top Bottom