Is there a general age when silkies crow (if they are going to)

hd_darcy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
So, I have three 8 1/2 week old silkies. If they are going to crow, when is the latest that they will do it? I know it might be much later, but just how much later? I'm getting antsy wondering what I have! Thanks!

Roos will start anywhere from weeks old to a year or so, just depends on the young man. I haven't had a silky roo but my other roos, I had a BR roo that started at 12 weeks an EE that started at 14 and an EE at 10 months.

Oh my gosh! I had no idea... So, I won't know for a very long time what their gender is..Grr.. wow! Thank you
smile.png

My new black silkie rooster, Henry, that I bought last week was hatched in September and had never crowed. This morning Anne took him out of the barn coop so he and Elizabeth, the hen, could help her hoe the garden. Anne hadn't gotten Elizabeth yet, Henry became upset and began crowing for the first time ever. He quietened down when Elizabeth was brought out to work in the garden.

I have a white silkie cockeral that started crowing around 16 weeks of age and hasn't stopped yet.
roll.png
His hatch mate started crowing around the same time but he is more gentlemanly about it... he crows a couple times in the morning and evening. The white one on the other hand seems to crow almost non stop for any reason. I think he crows just to crow. I have a FBCM Marans cockeral with them and he is about 16 weeks old now (a month younger than the silkies) and I hear a crow attempt from him every once in a while but nothing like Bo (white silkie). I am beginning to suspect the last hatchmate from the two older silkies is a boy too... the comb just doesn't look right. It does act like a girl though so I don't know. I really need to get pictures of her on here to see what people think. I am new to silkies but that is what I have experienced so far. I have 5 silkie babies from April right now and have a sneaky feeling 4 or the 5 are boys
hit.gif

I've had them crow as young as 3 weeks, it sounds like a squeeeeeeek but it's definitely an attempt to crow. General rule of thumb around here is 4 to 6 months. Some males develop quicker then others, which are usually my early crowers.

Shari

Back
Top Bottom