Is there a minimum number of eggs needed for a broody hen?

elmarie

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2017
I have 14 hens and one rooster and I'm not really looking for a bigger flock, however one of my hens is broody. It's my first experience with a broody hen. My two little girls asked if we could give her chicks. I don't mind a few more, but I don't want a dozen more. We marked two eggs for her and are removing any others that she sits on at the end of each day. Is two enough? Also, I'm not sure exactly when we left them so I'm not sure when 21 days will be up. I know it was within the last week. How important is it that I know? Thank you for any help! I'm only going on two years of being a chicken owner

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Personally, I'd go for 4 eggs. With only two eggs, you run the risk of one of them not making it, or having issues after hatch and a lone chick will not thrive, since they prefer chickens of their own age.

If you do decide to increase the number of eggs, I'd advise removing the existing eggs and collecting the desired number of freshly laid eggs to put under your broody. Store the egg fat end up, and if you can prop one side of the egg tray on something so its at a 45 degree angle. Rotate the tray twice per day.

Thanks CTKen, I am glad to be a part of this very helpful forum! I'm a little confused about what you mean at the end there. I don't have the eggs on a tray. They are in the nesting box with the hen. Switching the current two out for four will help me know the exact day to count down from, but since my hen has already been broody and nesting for about a week, if I switch the eggs will she sit on them for the full 21 days?

Thanks CTKen, I am glad to be a part of this very helpful forum! I'm a little confused about what you mean at the end there. I don't have the eggs on a tray. They are in the nesting box with the hen. Switching the current two out for four will help me know the exact day to count down from, but since my hen has already been broody and nesting for about a week, if I switch the eggs will she sit on them for the full 21 days?

She should, yes.

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Personally, I'd go for 4 eggs. With only two eggs, you run the risk of one of them not making it, or having issues after hatch and a lone chick will not thrive, since they prefer chickens of their own age.

If you do decide to increase the number of eggs, I'd advise removing the existing eggs and collecting the desired number of freshly laid eggs to put under your broody. Store the egg fat end up, and if you can prop one side of the egg tray on something so its at a 45 degree angle. Rotate the tray twice per day.

I second this advice. Four eggs is a good number - with your hen:rooster ratio, there is a good chance they are not all fertile anyway. So chances are reasonable that with 4 eggs, you may get only 2 chicks anyhow. Definitely crack open the two that have been incubating to see if they were developing chicks, and pay attention to the eggs you crack open for eating. Look at that yolk to see if you find a simple white spot or if you find a bullseye. That will give you an idea what percent of your eggs are fertile.

I hatch Chicks under my Broody Hens all the time...I advertise them and have no issue selling them...A larger Hen can hatch out 12 eggs and a Bantam can do well with 8 or less..:)....

Do what will work for your current situation..:)

Best of luck...:)

Cheers!

Let me just ask, is your broody in a favorite nest box by any chance? The reason I bring it up is I have had experiences in the past with broken eggs under a broody (and of course there were developing babies inside those) because the broody was in a favorite nest box and squabbles happened when the other hens insisted on also laying in that box. I had to end up moving my girl each time to a different nest to avoid the broken egg situation.

She is in one of the favorite nesting boxes and there has been a broken egg. I don't really have a place to move her though.

Back
Top Bottom