Is there a name for this coloration?

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Wasn’t sure which section to put this in…

What coloration is Milk if there even is a name for it? I am fairly certain she is a light x dark Brahma with maybe a tiny bit of buff, she is supposedly pure Brahma though.

Attachments

• IMG_6085.jpeg
    IMG_6085.jpeg
    700 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6084.jpeg
    IMG_6084.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6355.jpeg
    IMG_6355.jpeg
    821.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6359.jpeg
    IMG_6359.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 16
I would say Partridge pattern

There is some gen that dilutes red (and maybe also black?) acting here also. Lavender gen?.

Last edited:
She’s got a tiny bit of an orangy red hidden throughout her feathers and on her crop, so that could be the diluted red! I’ve never heard of a lavender gen?
The red color would be caused by autosomal red. The gene that dilutes phaomelanin in your bird is silver, but autosomal red can sneak through in spite of it.
The dilution is definitely not caused by the lavender gene.

I’ve never heard of a lavender gen?
There is a gene called lavender that dilutes black to a light gray color, and red/gold to a pale yellow/lemon/cream color.

The gene is found in chicken varieties called Lavender or Porcelain or Isabella.

Confusing genes & color names:
"lavender" is the same as "self blue"
"Blue" is the same as "Andalusian Blue" and "Black/Blue/Splash" or BBS
(Two colors, received confusing names before the genetics were fully understood.)
Lavender and Blue have different inheritance patterns, as well as causing different visible effects on chickens.

There is a gene called lavender that dilutes black to a light gray color, and red/gold to a pale yellow/lemon/cream color.

The gene is found in chicken varieties called Lavender or Porcelain or Isabella.

Confusing genes & color names:
"lavender" is the same as "self blue"
"Blue" is the same as "Andalusian Blue" and "Black/Blue/Splash" or BBS
(Two colors, received confusing names before the genetics were fully understood.)
Lavender and Blue have different inheritance patterns, as well as causing different visible effects on chickens.
I’ve had that happen before!! Best day to describe it is through pictures… the two adults are the parents, the pullet was their offspring. The very last black one was her sister, same exact parents. The mom is an Amerucana Lavender Orphingtons cross and the dad I have no clue about. If you look closely at Narwhal(the white one) she is barred. I’m fairly certain the gene is coming from the dad, I hatched a chick between Cowboy (Clive is the barred roo, his dad is Cowboy and his mom is Basil) and Basil, so this was Clive’s brother. He looked exactly like Narwhal. Basil looked like a hen version of Clive

Do you know if that gene weakens their system? Narwhal has been fragile since hatch, I was almost positive she wouldn’t make it after she hatched. She was a day late to hatch and always very tired looking and slow, she survived 4ish months before she developed wry neck(she was my very first wry anything chicken) and after months of treatment, she passed

Attachments

• IMG_6303.jpeg
    IMG_6303.jpeg
    549.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6571.jpeg
    IMG_6571.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9493.jpeg
    IMG_9493.jpeg
    978.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7210.jpeg
    IMG_7210.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
I’ve had that happen before!! Best day to describe it is through pictures… the two adults are the parents, the pullet was their offspring. The very last black one was her sister, same exact parents. The mom is an Amerucana Lavender Orphingtons cross and the dad I have no clue about. If you look closely at Narwhal(the white one) she is barred. I’m fairly certain the gene is coming from the dad, I hatched a chick between Cowboy (Clive is the barred roo, his dad is Cowboy and his mom is Basil) and Basil, so this was Clive’s brother. He looked exactly like Narwhal. Basil looked like a hen version of Clive

Do you know if that gene weakens their system? Narwhal has been fragile since hatch, I was almost positive she wouldn’t make it after she hatched. She was a day late to hatch and always very tired looking and slow, she survived 4ish months before she developed wry neck(she was my very first wry anything chicken) and after months of treatment, she passed
I don't know if lavender weakens their system but it does weaken their feathers which is why I really don't like the lavender mutation. The brittle feathers are caused by a linked gene called Wing Patch and not the lavender gene itself.
http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/09E03A09.pdf

I don't know if lavender weakens their system but it does weaken their feathers which is why I really don't like the lavender mutation. The brittle feathers are caused by a linked gene called Wing Patch and not the lavender gene itself.
http://www.aviculture-europe.nl/nummers/09E03A09.pdf
That makes so much more sense as to why lavender orps have such messy feathers

Yes, the barring gene came from the barred father.
Yes, that pullet would be lavender with white barring.
Lavender is recessive, so you only see it when a chicken has two copies of the gene. The mother carries the lavender gene (inherited from Lavender Orpington parent), and the father must carry it as well, because their daughter shows lavender, which means she has two copies of the gene.

Back
Top Bottom