Is there a nice breed of rooster?

I love my wyandotte roo, he is super gentle to all. He is such a good roo that he is in with another roo and all is well. I have been blessed with wonderful roos of many kinds. The only roo I ever had that was nasty was an OEGB, manfighter he was!

I am getting some D' anvers and sumatras does anyone know if the roosters are nice for the most part I know that every breed has one that likes to be diffrent?
smile.png

I have Brahma boys who are gentle, friendly and pretty.

My Brahma boys do not fight (ever), they keep the girls in order, and alpha boy did a great job trying to get rid of the fox that took 6 of my hens. He will never make freezer camp.

Sandie

Last edited:
I always carry on old broom into the coop and run with me. My roo only jumped me once but that was enough. I don't turn my back on him anymore, the first time I did was when he tried to get my bottom! I keep him at a distance with the broom and haven't had a problem with this. My daughter did get to close to him one day while tossing them scratch and he jumped on her back. Now she knows to stay back. I will be making mean rooster soup however if this stops working and he comes at me again. Like one other poster said, Life is to short to put up with mean rosters!!!! So ture. Good luck.

My Brahma Roo Goose is really sweet never fights very protective over his friends especially his tiny silkie sidekick LOVES to gossip like an old woman my 2 year old just scoops him up and carries him around even puts him in his little push car

I've only had RIR and Bantams. the Bantam roos have always been meaner. My RIR I have know is a big baby, when growing up he tried to show me who was boss, but i showed him, know he is friendly, doesn't mind being held, petted, etc., watches out after his girls and is an all around great roo. Hope that helps.

The native Thai roosters (fighting cocks) are incredibly nice that way. I have never spoken to anyone who says they are aggressive to people. Yes, they are obviously aggressive to roosters not from the same flock, but that's only to be expected. They are honestly very friendly birds and do a great job of looking after their girls. My own young rooster who has just started crowing is already showing the same trait. I never handle my birds, and out of the entire flock, he is the only one which comes right up close to me. I know several Thai folk who have these "giant" fighting cocks, and in all cases, they are super birds. I am currently on a mission to find one for myself without having to travel too far, and in fact, I just about to leave the house now. The young one I have now is only a mutt and just won't reach the same size, and it's really the size I'm after as I want to breed bigger size into my flock.

Will report back if I return home with one later in the day.
big_smile.png

My Wheaten Ameraucana roo (who I got from Mahonri) is not at all aggressive towards people, and is a good 'flock husband' to the hens.

Back
Top Bottom