Is there a quail that lays a blue egg?

I admit I'm probably not following this thread correctly, but if it hatches, or tastes good....Who cares what color the egg is?

Is it just me?

I like variety.
wink.png
Mostly my kids enjoy off colored eggs. I just never thought a quail would lay a blue egg. Kinda strange to me. I wouldnt want em all to be blue though. I enjoy having a variety of colors in my egg basket. I bought different chickens so I could have different colors. I have white, brown, lt brown, blue, and green. Looking for some marans for dark eggs now. lol
Doesnt affect taste I know and I eat em all. Just like the looks of them.

Some of my button quail lay a greenish tinted egg. Most don't, though. Most of the button quail eggs that I have do have a slightly blue tint on the INSIDE of the shell. You only see it when you crack the shells.

It takes a lot of button quail eggs to make a meal...

I bet!!! The A&Ms I got in the mail to hatch were tiny. I told my kids I can't imagine a bird that tiny coming out of that little of an egg. Buttons must be really little. Cute I bet though
big_smile.png

I got 7 baby coturnix quail chicks of different colors from a friend Im thinking about 5 or 6 weeks ago. The other day she let me help her gather the eggs and after gathering several I was suprised to find a solid blue egg in one of her pens and told her I didnt know they laid blue eggs. She sd she ordered 3 or 4 large shipments of eggs over 2 or 3 weeks and from different suppliers and in one shipment she recieved 3 solid blue eggs. She sd all 3 blue eggs hatched but hatched in a group of 100+ chicks and got them mixed up with the other chicks and after selling off several of the young quail thought she had probaly sold off the ones that came from the blue eggs as she only kept about 40 for herself. These r young birds and have only started laying in the past few weeks but she sd every day for about a week in a half she gets 2 to 3 eggs from that pen and one is always solid blue but doesnt know which hen is laying them but assumes it might of been one that hatched from one of the blue eggs. All of the other eggs she gets r the normal spotty color. Well that was a few days ago and tonight when I arrived home I found my very first egg laying on top the bedding and besides having alot of dried bloody streaks on it, it was solid blue with no spots. Clueless and still learning about these birds, maybe it could b common among new layers or somthing and color will become normal as the bird ages? Idk but will keep u posted if this continues as it has for her and maybe post pics if and as I get more. I have americana chickens and get lots of colored chicken eggs everyday and the best way I can think of to describe the color is exactly like the lighter true blue chicken eggs I get with no green tint or hue. Not sure why my very first egg was the wrong color but was very excited I got my first egg. Crazy how fast these birds mature and never knew quail could b so tame.

it seems like there is always something new to learn about these quail. Does anyone have pics of their tinted eggs?

Well so far i have gotten 2 more eggs and one was blue with brown splotches but no more solid blue. Talked to my friend today and she sd she hasnt gotten a solid blue one in the last few days either from that pen but will continue to post if any change

Just an update have still been getting plenty of eggs and still nothing unusual so thinking my blue egg was a one time thing or if anything a rare occurance. Have forgot to ask my friend the last few times we have spoke if she has gotten anymore solid blues but she is suppose to let me know if she does. So since she hasnt mentioned it Im going to assume she still hasnt gotten any new solid blues either. Was hopeing mine or hers would continue and maybe line breed a little to come up with a line that always lays a solid blue egg or does so for the most part but from the looks of things, dont look like thats gonna b happening. If I am lucky enough to just happen to get another tho I will def post a pic for those of u who would just like to see one. Hers were a more vibrant blue in color then the one that I got so if she gets more will try to rem to bring my camera with me next time I go visit. She live a distance away tho so not gonna make a special trip to take a pic tho. lol

Back
Top Bottom