Is there a 'quiet' breed of roosters?

kyeschicks

Serama Chicken Enthusiast
14 Years
Nov 11, 2008
Texas
So I'm wanting to raise chickens again, but the ordinance in my city changed and I can't own chickens unless we have 1/2 acre and then we can only own up to four chickens...but I'm very close to 1/2 acre :( Since my backyard is surrounded in corrugated steel sheets, no one can peek! unless they use a ladder lol I'm wanting to get 6 chicks (5 hens and 1 roo) but if I'm gonna keep a roo then I think I should get a 'quiet' one even though that might be impossible and might blow my cover away lol So do any of you know if there's a certain 'breed' that the roos are quieter? And yes, I've searched and found some threads but those were started years ago and I would rather have up-to-date info. Thanks!

Not sure if my black white crested polish rooster is what you'd consider quiet but of my 6 roosters his crow is the only one that can't be heard from in the house! I also have 1 Auburn Java, 2 Lavendar Orpingtons, 1 blue wyandotte and a cooper moran, who could serve as a back up emergency fire whistle! LoL

I've also noticed that mine only crow when it's light out so maybe you could keep him in a dark coop until later in the morning around 9:30 - 10:00 so it wouldn't wake the nieghbors!

Does the noise ordinance apply to daytime hours or only night time?

Doesn't say :( all that states about 'fowl' is this: "It shall be unlawful to keep Barnyard Fowl within the city limits, except: at a location zoned for Industrial, Agricultural, or Heavy Commercial use; or, up to four (4) Barnyard Fowl per quarter-acre may be kept at a location otherwise zoned provided that the location is not less than one-quarter acre in size." and I just noticed I put '1/2 acre' in my first post but I meant 1/4 acre.

No matter what rooster you get it is going to crow and you are going to get busted if it bothers neighbors or code enforcement hears about it. Hens are loud too and can/have gotten people with "secret" flocks busted. As you think about this rooster decision ask yourself is the rooster worth fines, court, and/or having your flock seized and destroyed? It's a big decision! You might want to anonymously find out what the consequences are for having a roo and keeping hens on less than the stated minimum.

I had an EE roo in town that I kept up until after sun up. He still crowed some but wasn't bad. I have two EE roos now that are ear splitting loud.

No matter what rooster you get it is going to crow and you are going to get busted if it bothers neighbors or code enforcement hears about it. Hens are loud too and can/have gotten people with "secret" flocks busted. As you think about this rooster decision ask yourself is the rooster worth fines, court, and/or having your flock seized and destroyed? It's a big decision! You might want to anonymously find out what the consequences are for having a roo and keeping hens on less than the stated minimum.

I had an EE roo in town that I kept up until after sun up. He still crowed some but wasn't bad. I have two EE roos now that are ear splitting loud.

Yes, i would agree. We have some bantam roos they do not crow as loud as bigger guys but it carries... and roosters crow whenever the moment strikes..

I live outside city limits and there are no restrictions on me, but I would rather not have angry neighbors... I just want to find a rooster that is quiet enough not to wake the neighbor's baby at the crack of dawn...any suggestions for that?

Back
Top Bottom