Is There a Rooster in my Hen House?

ObiHenKanobi

Chirping
Jul 1, 2020
Hello! I was cracking eggs this morning from our backyard flock and noticed two things on some of the yolks: white spots and dark brown flecks. Anyone know what these are? Are these eggs ok to eat?

A quick Google search made me wonder if the white spots are from fertilized eggs. However, I only have 6 chickens and I thought all of the were hens.
  • 2 Icelandics - I got these as laying pullets, definitely hens. Lay large cream colored eggs.
  • 2 Brahama mix hens - These two I hatched. I'm 99% sure they have started laying because recently 2 extra small brown flecked eggs have appeared every day.
  • 1 Australorp - Purchased from McMurry Hatchery as a sexed 6-wk old. 6 months old now. Has not started laying. (I have not seen any white eggs in the boxes.)
  • 1 Ameraucana - Purchased from McMurry Hatchery as a sexed 6-wk old. 6 months old now. Has not started laying but she does do that hen "squat" when I go to pick her up. (No blue eggs in the nesting boxes.)
That's all my chickens. I'm attaching photos of the egg yolks.

If these are not fertilized then I would love to know what the white and brown spots are. (Thought maybe the brown spots were blood spots, which I've read are normal?)

Thank you for any info!

Attachments

• eggs.png
    eggs.png
    3 MB · Views: 26

Back
Top Bottom