Is there a way to keep hens laying throughout fall and winter?

Purina

Official BYC Sponsor
Official BYC Sponsor
5 Years
Nov 11, 2014
It’s the amount of daylight, not temperature, which determines if hens will continue to lay eggs through the fall and winter. To help hens lay during all seasons, some flock raisers choose to provide their flock with supplemental lighting.

For optimum laying, consistent lighting is key. A 40-watt bulb for every 100 square feet of coop is usually sufficient. Make sure your birds are receiving 16 to 17 hours of light and 7 to 8 hours of restful darkness to maintain a healthy, productive flock. An easy way to keep this consistency is by keeping any supplemental lighting on a timer to automatically turn on and off.

As weather cools down, hens may also start eating more. Be sure to offer adequate complete layer feed, like Purina® Layena®, Purina® Layena® Plus Omega-3 or Purina® Organic layer feed, to provide the nutrients hens require.

Check out this video for more tips to help hens lay through the seasons:

Have any tried and true fall and winter tips? Share them below!

A heat lamp on a night seems to do the trick for me. It also depends on your chickens breed, however, as long as they have light and heat the should continue to lay. Thanks for your post:)

Water. Fresh, unfrozen water is vital. And soaking the feed for a few minutes in hot water or up to a day indoors can really encourage consumption and also rate of lay as well as egg size expecially if served warm, which sounds silly, but it really does work.

Not right now though. Over half of my birds are in molt and on strike. Nothing makes eggs appear when the feathers start flying and the chickens turn into crabby walking pincushions.

Wet feed can also help reluctant eaters in the dead of winter and/or help with rebulking after worming. They also like to be hand fed that nasty mush once they figure out what it is for some reason. Probably reduced competition. Just don't let any overly enthusiastic razorblade ducks swallow your fingers by accident (I hope).

Great tips, MairyMai and rachelsflock! Thanks for sharing!

rachelsflock makes a good point about molting season and egg production. It's perfectly normal for hens to take a short vacation from egg laying during this time while they regrow feathers. Check out this article for a few tips to them comfortable during molt and help them return to egg laying soon!

Yes to all of the above however more fundamental to all this is as older less productive hens are culled, having staggered hatches that occur mid April to the end of May imo is more helpful. No matter what you do, no matter the light, heat or feed, when they molt they will not lay eggs. Having staggered hatches in late spring allows pullets to complete their juvenile molts and start laying in mid to late fall.

Water. Fresh, unfrozen water is vital. And soaking the feed for a few minutes in hot water or up to a day indoors can really encourage consumption and also rate of lay as well as egg size expecially if served warm, which sounds silly, but it really does work.

Not right now though. Over half of my birds are in molt and on strike. Nothing makes eggs appear when the feathers start flying and the chickens turn into crabby walking pincushions.

Wet feed can also help reluctant eaters in the dead of winter and/or help with rebulking after worming. They also like to be hand fed that nasty mush once they figure out what it is for some reason. Probably reduced competition. Just don't let any overly enthusiastic razorblade ducks swallow your fingers by accident (I hope).
I was having a problem with my free range hens eating so I tried wetting their food and it worked. Not only are they eating a lot more they are laying more. I don't just pour water on the feed, I put a handful od raisins, 1 chopped apple with either oregano and basil or cinnamon. Bring it to a boil and let it cool before I pour it on the feed

I may get a :smack from some but mine get to take winter off. I don't do added lighting.

I do give wet mash every morning. I have a BO with a crossed beak and doing that really helps her get enough feed. She is actually bigger then the other BO's both in height and weight.

I did switch feed to Purina about 6 weeks ago. So far egg production is up as is shell quality. Of course as my older birds are heading into molt I expect that to change.

A heat lamp on a night seems to do the trick for me. It also depends on your chickens breed, however, as long as they have light and heat the should continue to lay. Thanks for your post
A red heat light...on all night?

16-17 hours of light? Thats the first time I have heard/read that. The common quoted time on this forum is 14 hours......Hmmm
.Gary
Agrees...16 would be max, IMO
Sad when sponsors spread and support misinformation.

Back
Top Bottom