1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is there a way to search for chicks in my area?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by rynanne, Oct 29, 2011.

1. rynanne

rynanne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    I live in Columbus OH. From what I've seen, most of the chick mailing services require you to buy 15-25 birds for them to ship them. I understand why. I have 6 different bantams breeds that I'd like to get, but I'm guessing I'll have to get them from local breeders. Does anyone know how to search for a group like that, or to search for a columbus ohio area group? I feel so clueless. lol

2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Have you tried craiglist.com?

also try ideal poultry their minimum is 25 dls when you buy chicks at regular price shipping and handling is very cheap too , righ now they have lots of bantams to chooose from.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Have you also tried finding your state thread on here and see if someone has any for sale??

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I believe several of the large hatcheries are in Ohio and allow pick-up. Meyer and Mt. Healthy come to mind.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Meyer and MyPetChicken (same source) both allow small orders and carry some breeds of bantams. They're in Polk, Oh. Also type in "bantam (or banty) chickens/chicks" for your area in Craigs List.

6. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

One of the biggest chicken hatcheries is in Ohio, their name is Meyer hatchery. Their minium is three. http://meyerhatchery.com/ [​IMG]

7. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Craigslist has a great selection, also try posting a wanted ad for what you want. You'd be surprised at the responses you'll get. Also try dayton, chillicothe and mansfield. I'm also in Col. Ohio, most of mine came from CL.

8. rynanne

rynanne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I thought of craigslist, but I was afraid of quality. I didn't know if that would be an issue. I tried googling for ohio hatcheries, but didn't find anything. maybe I typed in the wrong words. My brain's still a bit off. I had brain surgery 3 months ago, lol.

Thanks so much for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by