1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is there a way to tell the difference b/w Mandarin and Wood ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tonini3059, May 28, 2011.

1. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    In my wild duck aviary I have Woods and Mandarins. I think that one of the woods was laying eggs in with my mandarin. Is there a way to tell a difference between the two before the feather out?

2. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have never really owned my own but here are some pics that might help you....

the one on top is a wood duck

the one on the bottom is a mandarin

There does appear to be small difference between the eye stripes...hopefully this helps [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  3. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    That is the difference that I noticed, but I was not sure if that was just due to differences between individuals or was an indication of species. Thanks for the help and if anyone else can lend any insight it would be greatly appreciated.

4. waterdog

waterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Michigan
    The woodies will have an olive green tint to the face the mandarins will have more of a yellow or gold tint. When seen together it will be very noticeable. Sometimes this color difference will run all the way down in the breast.

5. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Also on a woodduck the feet are alot blacker.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by