Is there always a dominant hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theacw, Sep 29, 2011.

1. theacw

theacw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    MN
    Just kind of curious. I have 2 hens probably 20-22 weeks old and so far I havent seen any sign of dominance. If anything, they are best friends! The sleep cuddled up in nesting boxes, always within 1 foot of each other, and if seperated for even 30 seconds they FREAK out and completely panic without each other. Should I expect this to change over time? What are the chances one of them will crow in the future since I have no roosters? Is that typically when there are more hens?

If one dies, oh that would be terrible.

They arent free range. Coop is 6x6, 8ft tall and run is 12x12x12.

Oh I have another question and I dont want to start a new topic...

I see SO many topics in the emergancy section about random chickens dying for no reason at all. I understand that everyone is going to report this and isnt as common as it probably appears but what are the chances? Out of 100 chickens, how many would you guess die of unknown reasons and appeared 100% healthy?

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    there usually a pecking order of some sort. R your kids all siblings? That could be why? What type of birds? Could be just you and the way you care for them

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    I would probably say no more than 2... I'm including sicknesses that they are fine on Monday, sick on Tuesday and die on Wednesday too. That tends to happen to me more often than a spontaneous death.

4. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    most defently yes i ahve a flock of 6 with the oldest being the most dominant there is always the most dominant hen even if a roo is present

5. zumzumfoxy

zumzumfoxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    No roo here and there's always been a dominant hen [​IMG]

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    You haven't seen any sign because they know which of them is dominant and they are in agreement. Things can be quite peaceful between challenges.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by