Is there always a dominant hen?

theacw

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
MN
Just kind of curious. I have 2 hens probably 20-22 weeks old and so far I havent seen any sign of dominance. If anything, they are best friends! The sleep cuddled up in nesting boxes, always within 1 foot of each other, and if seperated for even 30 seconds they FREAK out and completely panic without each other. Should I expect this to change over time? What are the chances one of them will crow in the future since I have no roosters? Is that typically when there are more hens?

If one dies, oh that would be terrible.

They arent free range. Coop is 6x6, 8ft tall and run is 12x12x12.

Oh I have another question and I dont want to start a new topic...

I see SO many topics in the emergancy section about random chickens dying for no reason at all. I understand that everyone is going to report this and isnt as common as it probably appears but what are the chances? Out of 100 chickens, how many would you guess die of unknown reasons and appeared 100% healthy?

I would probably say no more than 2... I'm including sicknesses that they are fine on Monday, sick on Tuesday and die on Wednesday too. That tends to happen to me more often than a spontaneous death.

most defently yes i ahve a flock of 6 with the oldest being the most dominant there is always the most dominant hen even if a roo is present

No roo here and there's always been a dominant hen
smile.png

You haven't seen any sign because they know which of them is dominant and they are in agreement. Things can be quite peaceful between challenges.

Back
Top Bottom