Is there an alternative to Tylan?

Well, Lucy didn't make it. She did improve that day after her first shot but then turned again and I had to put her down. She was not able to eat even though she did give it a try. Her color changed to very pale and she got very weak (could not stand) and her lungs filled again. She was also getting sore from laying down all the time.

I appreciate all the help, support and information that you all gave me. I have learned a lot and I expect to know what to do better if ever faced with CRD going severe again. And I also will not allow any mean hens to torment the lowest in the flock like happened. I can try isolating such a bird till it loses status and give it another chance. If it starts up again, away it goes! I guess anyone who has animals is going to go through certain things. This is the first not-so-fun thing I've had with my chickens. I may have lost 2 hens over this, but I have a bunch of 2 week old chicks that are thriving and about a dozen under another broody that are to hatch next weekend, so there's plenty who need my attention now! Thanks again!

Hey guys, new to this site and stumbled upon this thread trying to source out alternative antibiotics (not tylan) for my horses! First off sorry to hear about Lucy. I did want to share on this thread for future Referance the experiences I've had with our feathered pets and this type of illness. My pops and I have been raising for chickens forever, occasionally a sick bird will look beyond the help of Tylan 50. I believe timing is everything when it comes to sick livestock so the earlier you can get them an antibiotic the better. Sometimes the bird goes into a state of depression and kinda just gives in to the illness seeking shade and sleep. But what the old school farmers shared with me saved so many of my birds and almost literally brought them back from the dead. The trick is to first catch the illness early and leave it alone after treatment. Although it may be tempting to sort of "rescue"the animal form the austerity, bringing the bird to a completely different area sorta stresses it out. Especially grazing/prey animals. Next step is to administer antibiotic and keep the bird hydrated. If that means using a syringe without the needle to get water down it's throat so be it. If the bird doesn't want to eat, the old school dudes would shove some watered down honey in the syringe to get some easy calories in the bird followed by some v-22.
Link:
http://gamecock-apparel-and-supplies.com/product/v-22-tablets/#_

I've seen this stuff give a bird so much strength, that it would crow even after getting sewn up from a cock fight. Yes it's legal to fight game fowl on Guam. I've never fought the birds. There just pets at my house, but I've learned these tricks from them old cockfighters willing to do anything to save their thousand dollar brood cocks.
Anyway I'm sure many of you know this info already. Just wanted to put it on the thread for anyone else surfing the internet that is just starting out. Take care and good luck in the future.

Back
Top Bottom