Is There An Easier (and less comical) Way To Syringe Valbazen To My Chickens?

rlhagan56

Songster
11 Years
Mar 10, 2012
Out West
What an adventure lol. My girls were good so I just put an arm around them while they were on the cleaned poop board which was a convenient height. But I couldn't do that and keep their little heads still while syringing. So I enlisted my hubby's help, he held and I did the rest. But when we started I stupidly realized,"Hey, how do ya open their little beaks?" My hubby shrugged which was no help, so I tried fingers on the upper and lower beaks, which worked but there wasn't another arm available to syringe the wormer in, so we just stared at the syringe for a minute trying to figure out a better strategy. So if I gently but firmly put pressure with thumb and forefinger on the back of their beak they would open and I carefully put the wormer on their little tongue, then they would smack and taste. It all worked out even tho I panicked when I thought some had gone down a little nostril a time or two, and madly wiped and swabbed with a rag. We laughed so hard at our misadventures, and the girls little sounds, which were just like a little kid who doesn't want their medicine, that it took almost two hours to worm 5 layers and 5 banties. And this was at dusk so they were all good and none tried to escape, we were just so clumsy, and those girls of mine are real characters anyway.

I read on here to pull down on the wattles, which was something I thought about trying, but question is, is that with the other person holding? Would sure love a pictoiral or video to show before the next round.

What an adventure lol. My girls were good so I just put an arm around them while they were on the cleaned poop board which was a convenient height. But I couldn't do that and keep their little heads still while syringing. So I enlisted my hubby's help, he held and I did the rest. But when we started I stupidly realized,"Hey, how do ya open their little beaks?" My hubby shrugged which was no help, so I tried fingers on the upper and lower beaks, which worked but there wasn't another arm available to syringe the wormer in, so we just stared at the syringe for a minute trying to figure out a better strategy. So if I gently but firmly put pressure with thumb and forefinger on the back of their beak they would open and I carefully put the wormer on their little tongue, then they would smack and taste. It all worked out even tho I panicked when I thought some had gone down a little nostril a time or two, and madly wiped and swabbed with a rag. We laughed so hard at our misadventures, and the girls little sounds, which were just like a little kid who doesn't want their medicine, that it took almost two hours to worm 5 layers and 5 banties. And this was at dusk so they were all good and none tried to escape, we were just so clumsy, and those girls of mine are real characters anyway.

I read on here to pull down on the wattles, which was something I thought about trying, but question is, is that with the other person holding? Would sure love a pictoiral or video to show before the next round.
Maybe this will help... http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/24/

Wow, thanks! That is very interesting, and good pictures! I finally found some threads on here about other misadventuresome worming episodes lol. Gave me some good ideas. I might try that bread idea. Thing is, they are so spoiled they refuse bread, fruit, cabbage, and lettuce. They act like those are the enemy. But I will work on it.

I DID however figure out a good way to give them followup probiotics. I keep tubes of Probios around a lot, so I squirted some on a pan, mixed some mealworms into it and they gobbled it all up.

Wow, thanks! That is very interesting, and good pictures! I finally found some threads on here about other misadventuresome worming episodes lol. Gave me some good ideas. I might try that bread idea. Thing is, they are so spoiled they refuse bread, fruit, cabbage, and lettuce. They act like those are the enemy. But I will work on it.

I DID however figure out a good way to give them followup probiotics. I keep tubes of Probios around a lot, so I squirted some on a pan, mixed some mealworms into it and they gobbled it all up.
I do the syringe method, by myself, on all of mine... 30 pound turkeys , wild peafowl, ducks, all sizes of chickens. With a little practice, you can even do it in the dark!

Back
Top Bottom