Is there any hope?

Oct 16, 2020
I think I really screwed up.

This morning, I woke super tired at 5 am and was reading about how to set my incubator for lockdown, and I read to set the temperature to 90 degrees.

Now, I’ve always left the temp At 99.5 before. But my hatches were crummy. I thought, well, maybe that was part of my mistake!

Well...now I’m realizing I was off. Way off. I dont know why this one source said 90 degrees, because everywhere else seems to say 99 degrees.

ARG!!!!!

Is there any chance at all these guys might hatch tomorrow??????

Well, I found this link saying that eggs can survive a drop in temperature due to power outage. Mine were only at 90 degrees (or maybe 89) for 12 hours. Supposedly some embryos can handle 90 degrees for 18 hours.

My hatch rate will suck, but...

I’m just so annoyed with myself. I KNEW it sounded wrong! I also KNEW I would screw up this batch of eggs by messing with them so much. It’s like I loved them to death.

If I’d just set it and forget it like I usually do, I wouldnt be in this mess.

GAH!

https://extension.psu.edu/programs/...ect-matter/incubation/in-case-of-power-outage

Put your light on the air cell. Your cell phone light might be your best choice if you don't have a really strong flashlight.
I’ve tried candling these eggs many times, and for some reason once they start incubating, the shell becomes dense and dull and I can’t see through it to save my life.

This is odd, because I *can* see through the shells when they arent in the ‘bator yet.

I picked each of them up gently, and most of them *felt* alive.

It’s likely that I’m imagining this. LOL. But there is a dense weight to them that feels like it has energy inside.

Oh, well. I should take a Valium And do some yoga and stop stressing. I never would have made this mistake if I wasnt trying to hard to get it exactly right this time. >.<

Your 'best' source of information, is here at BYC. Lots of bad, down right harmful info- sites, on the net.

There may be a few of the embryos survive the lowered temp but also realize that even if they hatch, they may have other developmental problems later on, best wishes on your hatch.

At one day before hatching, they're a lot like newly hatched chicks. Newly hatched chicks may not survive a brooder at 90 degrees. Same idea.

Edit: I should say that I'm not really 100% certain, and I'm just posting my semi-educated guess.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom