Is there any money in chickens?

The only money in our chickens is from my DH's paycheck
gig.gif

No, seriously
lau.gif
I'd have to sell eggs and chicks for the next 20 years, and my feed bill is next to nothing since we free range our birds and I have access to tons of free corn. I'm always needing a new coop, or adding on a new pen to an existing coop, or buying new feeders/waterers, new chicks, shavings, lamps, cool egg cartons, etc...

I do plan on selling guinea eggs & chicks next spring, since I built up a nice breeding group this summer, but that will probably cost me more money than it will make
hu.gif

I suppose if it was super well managed with the right setup and birds it could be possible, but it's probably not very realistic or profitable. For me it's just FUN!
clap.gif

I sure hope my dh doesn't see this question--because he might tell you how he really feels! LOL

Since I have only been doing this for a few months--my answer would be NOT for a long time..

Building and maintaining secure coops, runs and/or shelters cost lost of money, stock (whether you start w/ chicks (add the cost of feeding them for 6 months, keeping them warm/dry/safe until they are at least 4months old and loss) or whether it is point of lay hens --you can figure that you'll pay AT LEAST 10-15$ per chicken--Show quality can be a lot more money. Hens do not lay every day --I think the average is 5/6 eggs every 7 days. If you vacation at all you'll need someone to gather eggs, check on the chickens and feed and water, more $$.

My little coop and run is probably 'over' built for security but the cost was almost 1200$--It's only for 15 chickens.. Feed is 8$ a bag--add oyster shell, grit, waterers and feeders. And treats---Lord knows you gotta have treats...LOL You might need a license to sell from your farm--we don't but who knows....

I have to agree: If you were to start small--whether it be for organic, free range eggs or quality stock of show chickens---it would take years to build up your name....

If you want to try to break even, much less make a profit, I would suggest that any rare breeds you get into be something where quality can be assessed *young*... which unfortunately kind of leaves any of the longtails out. YOu don't want to have to raise up lots of chicks for like a year, year and a half, before having a good idea of which ones are good and which not so good. Drastically increases expenses. Nothing wrong with slow-maturing breeds as a HOBBY, but they are certianly not the best projects financially, compared to breeds that can be sorted as to keep/sell-expensively/sell-cheaply at a young age.

(edited to add: there is money in MY chickens, I should know, I put it there myself LOL)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited:
I really think it depends on how you approach it and how creative you are willing to be. There are some great (old) books on making money with chickens that have helped me out a lot. I have a flock of 50 and make enough off egg sales to cover feed costs most of the year--when they are out free-ranging and finding a portion of their own food. But when I have to supply all their food I am a bit behind (if you don't count the money I would spend anyway to buy eggs). However, in a way I come out "ahead" because several of my egg customers barter with me. The best deal I have going is my hairstylist who takes two dozen eggs a week and cuts and highlights my hair for free every couple months. Now it is hard for me to count that as genuine "income" because I couldn't and didn't afford to have my hair done professionally before. However, if she were paying the equivalent of cut and color at salon prices I would be making tons of money--but that is what is great about bartering, she has what I want and I have what she wants and we are both happy.

yuckyuck.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Any money in chickens...
Rule of thumb if it eats there is no money in it..if it eats it will eat get sick or die NOT a good reliable thing to make money with.
But boy is it
bun.gif
woot.gif
and a great breakfast is never wasted money-even better if you can get someone else to fix it for you though
fl.gif

I get more financial benefit from my ducks than I have from my stupid cats!

Those furry poop machines don't even chase rodents! They are cute, but otherwise worthless.

The ducks at least give me eggs for my breakfast.

I think that people who have short attention spans and who want quick fixes and who don't want to work hard cannot even break even.

Breeders have breeding pens, which can be expensive, and have to feed all the breeders, which can be costly if you have many of them. You'll never make up that cost if you don't find a way to market your pairs, trios or specialty eggs.

But I think that if you use your head and market yourself well, you stand a better chance.

If you're the type of person who starts a project with a big startup, gets bored with it, starts another project with big startup, gets bored with it, etc., that you probably shouldn't waste your time with chickens. JMOHO
smile.png

Whatever you do, you ought to let us know what you have available. There's no reason why you can't start that marketing right here
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom