Is there any reason that a hatchery would purposely send dead chicks?

Mail order chicks are always a craps shoot.

MOST of them make it through just fine. If they didn't the hatcheries would soon go broke from having to replace so many birds. Most of them. But not all.

Sometimes you roll snake eyes. If you've ordered birds over the years you learn to be philosophical about these things. If it's your first time it can be upsetting.

Might I suggest that in the future if your friend does this just for EAster pictures, she try finding someone local to get some chicks from. It may be easier on the chicks and her than ordering them from a hatchery. Don't tell me there isn't anyone around with chickens, because here on BYC we know they are EVERYWHERE!!!
She could also post an ad on here or on Craigslist to find them nearby. It will take as much planning as finding homes for some she orders from a hatchery, and maybe even less work.
I hope that she can work with what she has. She could still ask around if she needs more though.

Well I am in the market to expand my flock and when I told her I was going to be ordering chicks anyway, she offered to order them for me, use them for her pictures then pass them along. She's gone through all the trouble of setting up a proper brooder to house the birds (for three days) and is doing all the right things.

She's pretty upset at the moment. One of the ducks has since died and the one weak chick.
sad.png

They were shipped on Wednesday, the post office called her this morning and told her they'd arrived. She picked them up at lunch. She's doing all the right things.
sad.png

Depending on the locations I would think that there were too few chicks to keep warm. Or they were squished. The first time we ordered chicks they pretty sickly looking and 3 were dead (of 25) a good number died later, we haven't ordered from them again. . .I also got chicks this a m that were shipped Wed. All 45 are alive, so are the two ducks and turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom