is there any way to make geese quieter?!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by spish, Mar 16, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    [​IMG]

i have a flock of 6 white farm geese (2 m 4f) and a couple chinese geese (sorry dont know the right names)

they are pretty quiet all day but come night time...my gosh...what a noise! its gotten so bad neighbours across the fields have started complaining, and the last thing i want is too have to get rid of them........would locking them up in their house at night maybe help or would that make them louder???

2. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Is something disturbing them at night? stray dog, etc?

Sorry, the Chinese geese do get a bit 'chatty.' My mom pens hers up at nightfall, partly for predator protection and partly so she can sleep. She has two brown Chinese and one embeden. The Embeden is the only one we can have a conversation around, the others - sheesh! Non-stop noise.

Best wishes.

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    im wondering too if its something wandering round at night scaring them, because its not every night they are noisy, but on the nights they are its around the same time....
    we've had reports of a fox in the area but not seen it ourselves...

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds as if they are "alarming" over the presence of a predator. The fact that it's around same time each night is not unusual as predators are creatures of habit. I would try locking them up in their house at night to see if that solves the problem. (That plus sitting on top of the coop with a shotgun.[​IMG])

5. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    They will sound off an alarm when they sense anything moving around them. I lock mine up in a solid pen at night, but if they even hear me walking around the pen they will begin sounding off alarm. If they are somewhat in the "open" I imagine it would be 20x worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by