Is There Anybody Else Here With Aspberger's Syndrome?

Whitewater

Songster
10 Years
Jan 18, 2010
Forgot to mention in my earlier post about my brother, I was quite literally closeted with a psychologist getting assessed for Aspberger's syndrome (how do you spell it, anyhow?) WHILE he was being raced to the ER . . .

2.5 hours later I finally turned my phone back on, because the assessment ran over by quite a bit, only to discover the bad news.

Haven't had time to process the diagnosis yet, this evening was about my bro.

Is there anybody else here who has Asperger's? Would you be willing to share what, if anything, effect it had on your life after you were diagnosed? I'm afraid things will change for the worse.

I expect the psychologist's full report in 3-4 weeks.

Whitewater

I have a friend who looks after my computer, she told me a lot of people who work with computers (technican, and programers) have Aspbergers syndrome. She has had a fairly normal life, and if you have had it this long and not had to many problems, why worry, I dont think it gets worse with age. Just keep doing the things you like, and dont let a tag limit you.
hugs.gif

Hope your brother heals well, and can get back to the job he loves
fl.gif
Healing thoughts, going his way.

Just found this post but I too have Asperger's syndrome. Just found out last year. In a way it was a relief. Always knew I was a bit different and now I know why. The biggest obstacle I've had is trying to explain to people what Asperger's is and how it affects me. It doesn't help that I'm also a member of Mensa so those same people try to tell me that since I'm so smart why can't I just deal with the syndrome and act normal.

Im married to a man with Aspergers. I dont think your life is going to get worse with diagnosis, in fact I believe its about to get better. My husband went thru his entire life always feeling out of sync with the rest of the world. He was always at odds with everyone. Once I figured it out and we got confirmation things got a lot better for him. We have a better understanding of each other and more importantly he has a better understanding of himself.
Feel free to email me offlist and I can send you a link to the online group I belong to. The group has both aspie and non aspie in it and has been very helpful in helping my husband and I communicate better with each other and has helped my husband understand himself.
best wishes
breezy

My niece has Asbergers. She does have some problems but does manage to live by herself at 24 years old. She does have difficulty keeping a job but I think it's more that she just doesn't want to work and my brother and sister-in-law support her non-working habit, so she doesn't have to.

The biggest problem she has had was inappropriate behavior for her age. She always has had younger friends because she is so immature. It's tough, but not insurmountable. The funny thing is that my brother is a marriage and family therapist and has clients with Asbergers but it took until his daughter was 20 until they realized that she had it.

My younger brother has Aspberger's. He's 9 and was diagnosed about 4 years ago, I think. He also had ADHD, like me.
smile.png
I was in sleep-a-way camp when he was diagnosed. My mom took him. She was pridicting it all along, but we wanted a real diagnoses. We saw the signs early, but I was still a little shocked. My father didn't take it the best. He still has a little trouble coping sometimes, losing his temper when my brother loses his.

It's really hard to deal with at times. I honestly think that he's a big part of why I'm working with animals when I get older, not kids or people.
lol.png
I run out of patience with him quickly. He tends to lose his temper often and can be so infuriating at times. He'll get irritated when something doesn't go his way. He is average or beyond in school, academically. Socailly/emotionally, it's a little different. He expresses emotion normally, if not a bit inappropriately (he recently stopped hugging people who we don't know well). Because of the ADHD, he does get a little hyper, alot like myself when I was his age, and does have a little problem raising his hand when he wants to ask/answer a question in school.

But regardless, I love him just the same. I cannot imagine a life without my little bro. No matter how hard he can be to live with, he is a huge part of my life and always will be. Many predict he will live a normal life and will hopefully being himself much success. Let's just say he knows his computers.
wink.png
There are so many famous and brilliant people out there with this syndrome. It's just amazing.

I'm an Aspie. Finally came to terms with it recently (I think). The best part about it is that I really, really understand my animals. For 40 years I was always treated as some kind of "freak" by my friends and family. But the critters never let me down. Nobody (my vet included) knew how I could tell what they needed. I didn't quite understand it myself. But I KNEW. Check out Temple Grandin's story. We Aspie's are weird critters, but along with the curse comes an awesome gift. I'd never want to be normal. Even if that would be easier than the life I live. Give me goatie kisses, egg songs, and howling for the joy of it.

I read this thread in it's entirety, and it really has me wondering. Could anyone tell me exactly what the symptoms of Aspberger's are? I'm wondering about my older daughter, and wondering if it's possible that she might have it mildly. She tends to be very shy, secretive, keeps mostly to herself, though she will converse easily with family in the house, yet unless we really press her, she doesn't like to speak in depth about very many things. She likes other people (children in particular), but has a hard time making friends with them. Usually it's her sister that forms that friendship, and then she just sort of jumps in, or her sister drags her in. She is smart, but impatient with certain subjects. Public school settings make her so anxious that she vomits, so we home school. She is quiet and spends more time with her face in a book than she does interacting with people. In fact, she prefers books to human contact. Does any of this sound like Aspberger's? My kids have two autistic cousins (brothers) on their father's side, but we always assumed that it was on those children's father's side since of the 7 to 10 grandkids that there are in that family, 4 were positively diagnosed as autistic. For a grandmother to have 4 of her 10 grandchildren with autism, that struck me as unusual, and as an extremely high number. This would be the grandmother of my children's cousins, and the mother of their father (the aunt is my children's biological aunt), BUT, their other aunt's grandson was just diagnosed as autistic. I don't know if it's hereditary, or if there is a genetic susceptibility to it or not. Could someone tell me the symptoms please? I'd like to take her and have her tested. I know she has ADD. Oh, she's very clumsy too, and is a compulsive picker. She picks scabs so much that they don't heal sometimes for months, and she will pick up cats and pick the fleas off them, just to keep her hands in motion. She picked nearly all the skin off her heels last winter and could barely walk as a result. I got her heels to finally heal, but she went right back to picking at them and has never let the skin grow back fully. If anyone could tell me what to look for, and what I should discuss with her doctor, I'd be very appreciative. She'll be 12 at the end of this month. Thank you.

I am an Aspie and I found the diagnosis incredibly relieving! I was also relieved when my son got diagnosed (before me) because that way, we had an handle to help us find proper accommodations and help. His dad (my ex) was reluctant to "label" him, but as I explained "You're already labelling him as a 'bad kid'. At least this label will be accurate."

Let me know what questions you have and how I can help.

Back
Top Bottom