Is there anyone who does NOT process their own meat birds?

Dwen

Songster
8 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Concord, NC
I would like to raise my own meat birds, specifically ducks & geese, but I can't hack the processing. The problem is I'm a little short handed, (it'd just be me) and I don't think I could handle dispatching the bird. I too soft-hearted
roll.png

I know people who will do your chickens or Turkeys for you, but no one wants to do waterfowl because of the nightmare plucking job. I've tried looking for people who raise waterfowl in my area, (southern NC) but I couldn't find anyone. I also couldn't find anyone who handles hunted game, but I wasn't really sure how to search for that sort of person in the first place.
Maybe y'all have ideas?

Thanks-
Dwen

I've processed my own chickens before and taken them to be processed. I don't mind processing my own birds but sometimes the butchering time is completely inconvenient.
I took my last 5 meat birds to be processed, but next time, I'll just do it myself. If I have a large batch, I will take them to be processed. Its just time consuming for me because, like you, I can count on me myself and I :).

By the way I will NEVER pluck a duck again, that was a terrible experience and it took me 45 mins to pluck the little sucker! The skin was starting to shred, ugh! It was horrible!

I know that when all of my hubbies hunt ducks and geese, they just debreast them and take the thighs. Sorry, that doesn't help you much.

A lot of hunters just breast their ducks out. That would be a waste on a domestic duck where there is lots of meat located elsewhere in addition to the breasts.

If you would give your location, maybe someone will know a place to recommend.

I know of a place in Oregon, but they charge $12 per duck. So I process my own. The plucking is not difficult with a mechanical plucker. If the timing is just right, there are no pin feathers. If there are pinfeathers, then I advise duck wax.

If you can't do the killing, maybe you could find another homesteader in your area and get together and share labor for both of your birds. They kill, you gut.

I live near Charlotte, NC.
That was what I would like to do, team up with someone who knows the ropes. I'm just not sure about how to go about finding them.

There is a small animal processing plant here in Marion, nc (1 1/2 hours from Charlotte). It says on their website that they do ducks. It's called Foothills Pilot plant Andtheir website is foothillspilotplant.com. Not sure it would be worth the drive but if you are doing a lot of ducks it might be worth it. It is USDA and FDA facility. Hope this helps

Thanks thejohnsie, definately good info to have.
Are processing fees normally that high? -5 per chicken, 8 per duck, and 15 per goose/turkey?

I take my birds to the processor. We usually do at least 25 at a time and it would create a huge mess and attract fox, coyotes, raccoons, opossums and who knows what else.

I'm a hunter and it don't bother me to dress a bird but it is time consuming and messy. For $1.25 a bird it's definitely worth a short trip to the chicken butcher....

Thanks thejohnsie, definately good info to have.
Are processing fees normally that high? -5 per chicken, 8 per duck, and 15 per goose/turkey?

For what it's worth I pay $4 per chicken and it's 50 cents extra to have them weighed, and another 50 cents if you want to keep the giblets etc. Guess that makes the work slower for them so they charge extra. Keep in mind, I'm much further north than you though so I can't speak to the pricing in your area.

And I totally get not wanting to process your own. I have done a few but I find it's so much easier and cleaner to take them in.

Back
Top Bottom