Is there anything else I can do :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Amp, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Amp

Amp Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Alabama
    One of my original hens (6 years old) is sick. She has not been walking well for 2 days and puffed up. I removed her and put her in a stall in the barn. She has just been laying in the same spot all morning with her eyes closed. I've brought her inside since I think her end is very near. Her crop feels empty, stool is brown and white, not puffy but fairly normal looking. She hasn't laid any eggs in close to a year so not egg bound. She is not eating or drinking. I've been giving her a little bit of water with ACV in it. I'm thinking it's just age related but I want her to be as comfortable as possible. Thank you.

2. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    do you have a picture of her and her poop?
    and the bottom of her feet?

sick chickens need to be kept warm, around 80-85*

3. Amp

Amp Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Alabama
    [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

4. Amp

Amp Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

5. Amp

Amp Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

6. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
  7. Rickovo

Rickovo Out Of The Brooder

If they can eat at all then some fish (tuna, pilchards, mackerel etc.) will always tempt them. If you mix it with a bit of regular feed & water then you can get some water in at the same time. If those were very recent poops then things were going not too badly maybe. But a 6 years old anything may be happening as you know.
    Don’t want to say this but if she doesn’t turn the corner to a recovery soon (and if you have no cause to think differently) then the best thing to do for her may be to put to sleep.
    Vets are always good, if you can find one.

8. JennaMW14

JennaMW14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    I'm thinking it's just from age :(
    She is a beautiful girl, good luck and sorry I couldn't help much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by