Is there anything else I can do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lcammack, Sep 29, 2011.

1. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Hi everyone, I am a new chicken owner and I have a question regarding soft, brittle, and jello eggs. Three of our chickens started to lay I would say about 1 month ago. We were getting a green, blue and brown egg every other day, now almost everyday. These eggs were extremely hard and perfectly shaped. Then we started finding two very light tanish eggs that were very fragile broken in the nests or on the poop board, then they went to soft shells, then to jello eggs and sometimes no shell at all, I am assuming these are two new hens just starting to lay. These light eggs have been showing up for about two weeks. Out of those two weeks we have had two that were finally hard enough to handle although mishapen. Then back to soft, broken, rubber eggs? Our hens have been switched over to organic layer pellets for almost 2 weeks and have had free choice oyster shell for almost 2 months. I have ordered Vitamin D3 supplement for the water as per another BYCer that had success with it, but it won't be here for awhile. Any thing else I can do in the meantime? Any reason why this is still ongoing? Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Maybe this will help:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

And here are some other sources of calcium.

1. Spinach & Swiss Chard
    2. Salmon & Sardines (canned with bones)
    3. Mustard, Collard, Kale & Turnip greens
    4. Shellfish
    5. Blackstrap molasses (can cause runny stools)
    6. Corn Tortillas
    7. Yogurt
    8. Mozzarella & Cheddar cheese
    9. Milk, Buttermilk (goat's milk and cow's milk)
    10. Basil, thyme, dill seed, cinnamon, and peppermint leaves
    11. Romaine lettuce
    12. Rhubarb
    13. Almonds, Peanuts & Brazil Nuts
    14. Black Beans, Dried Beans (Cooked)
    15. Sesame seeds
    16. Fennel
    17. Cabbage, Bok Choy, & Chinese cabbage
    18. Summer squash
    19. Green beans
    20. Garlic
    21. Tofu & Soybeans
    22. Brussel sprouts & Broccoli
    23. Oranges (Some people do not feed citrus to chickens)
    24. Asparagus & Okra
    25. Crimini mushrooms
    26. Foods Fortified with Calcium: Some Orange Juice, Breads, & Cereals

Good luck

Imp

3. lcammack

lcammack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Thank you IMP, I have been giving them 5 or 6 of the foods on the list, but I didn't realize all of those things were beneficial. Thanks for the very complete list! I am still hoping that this is just the new layer syndrome and that once there systems get used to laying they will be okay. I must be doing most things right as I haven't had any responses other then yours! Thanks again.

4. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    Quote:It sounds like you are doing every thing right. Not sure why you would be having problems.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:You are certainly welcome. I suspect you are correct and things will get better in the egg dept.

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by