Is there hope?

Stormydays

In the Brooder
May 20, 2017
I bought some chicks off of Meyer hatchery and they came in this morning. I picked up the chicks at 6:30am. I have a brinsea ecoglow brooder, provided food and water(with ACV), and had one die within two hours of getting them home. About one and a half hours later a second chick started not looking well. Doesn't want to eat or drink (she did when I first introduced them), and only wants to stay under the warmer. I have been feeding her honey/sugar water since 10am. I've seen a little improvement like now she will open her eyes a little when I feed her the water mixture and even do some sad chirps. I've tried offering her mushy chick food with no luck. If I set her away from the warmer once she realizes she is not under it, she will look for it and go under. She looks tired and weak. Is there hope she will make it through the night? Has anyone had a 3 day old chick wake up in the morning the next day and is like the other chicks?

If you can get some Poultry Nutri-Drench into them, that might turn the tide. With sick chicks, if you can get a drop of the PND to the side of her beak, so it will wick into her mouth, instead of trying to force the drops into her mouth, that would be good. Blooie dips a Q-Tip in the PND and uses that to dose the chicks. So, you can give a drop or two full strength to any chicks that are not doing well, and then mix some in the water. Mix it to the color of weak tea. Be sure to change the water every day, as the PND or any other additives will grow bacteria. You can also make some electrolyte solution:
Homemade Pedialyte Recipe #2

1. 4 cups water.

2. 1/2 teaspoon baking soda.

3. 3 tablespoons sugar or honey (remember that babies can't have honey until they're at least 1 year old)

4. 1/2 teaspoon salt.

5. optional: 1/2 packet (old fashioned) unsweetened Kool-Aid.
When I give electrolytes, I always have fresh water available also so the birds have a choice.

Back
Top Bottom