Is there signs that a hen is ready to lay?

My 2 girls are 22 weeks old, on laying mash, oyster shells, and grit since 20 weeks. Both started squating and let me pet them several days ago. Their combs and wattles are bright red.......can I expect and egg soon ?.........one Cherry Egger and one Buff orpington

how many chicken do you think I can fit in this coop

I have 3 17 week old pullets, this morning I noticed one has scratched all around the floor of the coop and made of mess of the pine shavings. They were tossed all into the run. I assume that means attempting to set up a nesting space? Two of them have pretty red combs and one is a BsL so I expect an egg soon anyway. I've yet to see any squatting yet though I only see the birds when I let them out to free range in the morning and evening.

Is there a way to force them to use the nesting box?

Last edited:
I have 3 17 week old pullets, this morning I noticed one has scratched all around the floor of the coop and made of mess of the pine shavings. They were tossed all into the run. I assume that means attempting to set up a nesting space? Two of them have pretty red combs and one is a BsL so I expect an egg soon anyway. I've yet to see any squatting yet though I only see the birds when I let them out to free range in the morning and evening.

Is there a way to force them to use the nesting box?
They may have been scratching for spilled feed....or who knows what...mine do that frequently.
Put fake eggs/golf balls in the nests....but newly laying pullets can take up to a month to figure out where to lay.

Thanks for the info.. There's no food in the coop, but maybe one went after a roach or some kind of bug? Who knows.

We got our first egg today so I thought I'd share the lead up that indicated that she would start laying soon. I have seven Red Sex Linked chickens that are 15 weeks old. About 10 days ago, I noticed that a few of them seemed to be getting wider butts. It seemed like it happened really fast. They had been sleek little teenagers and suddenly they blossomed into chickens. About 5 days ago, we noticed that a few of them were squatting when we pet them. We had no idea what they were doing and at first thought they suddenly liked to be pet. :) I did some research on if there were any signs on if a chicken would lay soon and sure enough, I read about the pelvic bones getting wider and the squatting behaviors. We've been stalking the nests for days now. Today around 1:30, I went to check on my ladies. They usually come running when they see me because they they I have treats. One of them wasn't there and I noticed that she was in her nest. I peeked at her and she had thrown bits of bedding on her back. The other chickens would come in and check on her and walk back out. About 15 minutes later, I checked on her again and she was standing up looking like she was concentrating. At that point, I grabbed my cell phone and hit "record." Sure enough, a few seconds later, out came the egg. Right after that, she started to sing the "egg laying song" that I'd been hearing about.

Here's Camille laying her first egg.

Here's the "egg laying song"

We got our first egg today so I thought I'd share the lead up that indicated that she would start laying soon. I have seven Red Sex Linked chickens that are 15 weeks old. About 10 days ago, I noticed that a few of them seemed to be getting wider butts. It seemed like it happened really fast. They had been sleek little teenagers and suddenly they blossomed into chickens. About 5 days ago, we noticed that a few of them were squatting when we pet them. We had no idea what they were doing and at first thought they suddenly liked to be pet. :) I did some research on if there were any signs on if a chicken would lay soon and sure enough, I read about the pelvic bones getting wider and the squatting behaviors. We've been stalking the nests for days now. Today around 1:30, I went to check on my ladies. They usually come running when they see me because they they I have treats. One of them wasn't there and I noticed that she was in her nest. I peeked at her and she had thrown bits of bedding on her back. The other chickens would come in and check on her and walk back out. About 15 minutes later, I checked on her again and she was standing up looking like she was concentrating. At that point, I grabbed my cell phone and hit "record." Sure enough, a few seconds later, out came the egg. Right after that, she started to sing the "egg laying song" that I'd been hearing about.

Here's Camille laying her first egg.

Here's the "egg laying song"

Wow, not only did you get to see it happen you recorded it!!!
SaWeet!

Back
Top Bottom