Is there signs that a hen is ready to lay?

Quote:
I bought straw from my local feed and seed store aka co-op
smile.png

mr.lyme disease :

My hen just started squatting for me yesterday! how long do you think before eggs?

My Dominique took 4 weeks exactly from the time I noticed her squatting. She just laid yesterday.

Good luck.​

Ok~ I have to ask too!
hmm.png
I have 9 hens that are 17 weeks today. 6 Buff Orphington, 1 RIR and 2 Americana. Comb/waffles are real small, but red. Do you think I'll see sme eggs soon?
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png

What are the signs that she's ready to lay eggs...bcuz she's acting real different today...she trying to cover herself under the blanket.. oh yea she's a house chicken...lol...I've raised her sence she was a week old ...so she's just like one of the dogs...she usally sleeps with me ...but I've been sick sence last night so i put her in her cage nxt to my bed...so i felt bad and let her out and now she's trying to I think make a nest..n being kind of distant...usally shes up on my bad pirched on my arm n shell go to sleep or lay by the fan...so if anybody can help...plz do....I just want to make sure she's ok..she's my lil feather kid....n spoiled az ever...lol....

Right before my first hen laid (after a week or so of the red wattles and comb, and the squatting), she got very, very agitated. Crying, jumping up on my lap (a first!), and generally distressed. Because she was the first, she had no model, and likely had no idea what was happening. I comforted her the best I could, and she's now very calm and professional about the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom