Is there signs that a hen is ready to lay?

What about a bulgy butt?
lol.png

Should I feed them layer pellets?

Quote:
yup lol my silkies do a very weird bababababababababababaaaaawk!!!! noise lol very loud!

Quote:
yuppers- mine sound very mad and do the same high pitched noise over and over again rels fast

Quote:
i have used many things in the past such as; doorknobs, golf balls, colorful plaic easter eggs. prettymuch any small round thing should work.

After trying to borrow a ping pong ball, golf ball ect... no one came through, SO I had boiled a store bought egg and plopped it under Muppet tonight while she was sleeping. It was a Large egg so I hope it doesn't throw her off?! Is that ok to do?

Last edited:
Ticks, here's a pic of how red the comb and wattle will become. You will suddenly notice their comb and wattle growing rapidly and it turn a bright red, plus they become very vocal and some of mine even "practice sat" in the nest before actually laying their first egg. I got another "first" egg today....my maran laid her first one!! I love the deep terracota color and it was perfect!
smile.png
I now have 4 out of 8 hens laying. Yours will start too!!!

Here are the pics! I included some of my nest box set up too...6 inches off the ground...works perfect!

12435_img_2885.jpg

12435_img_2899.jpg

12435_img_2863.jpg

Back
Top Bottom