Is there something negative about feed chickens corn?

GMO is perfectly safe to eat.
But it is the environmetnal issues like Round Up resistant crops that is concerning.

As for corn, my birds are eating their normal amount of layer crumbles but also topping up with a lot of cracked corn for calories. The last month we've been down to -30C and rarely morethan -10C. They need the extra calories to stay warm. There has been no drop in egg production.

I know this is an old post but just wanted to say that we know better now. GMO is NOT perfectly safe to eat....... Check out this info:

http://www.naturalnews.com/037249_GMO_study_cancer_tumors_organ_damage.html

I know this is an old post but just wanted to say that we know better now. GMO is NOT perfectly safe to eat....... Check out this info:

http://www.naturalnews.com/037249_GMO_study_cancer_tumors_organ_damage.html

I think that you may be missing Johny's point.

It is the products that are sprayed and dusted on the GMO product that is causing health problems and not the actual GMO product.

Now I will say that I have no real problem with GMO seeds but it is the products being used and how it is being used on the plants that I have a problem with.
I will also say as long as the U.S. fills the need to "feed the world" the U.S. is going to have to use GMO seed to keep up with the demand of food.

Chris

I think that you may be missing Johny's point.

It is the products that are sprayed and dusted on the GMO product that is causing health problems and not the actual GMO product.

Now I will say that I have no real problem with GMO seeds but it is the products being used and how it is being used on the plants that I have a problem with.
I will also say as long as the U.S. fills the need to "feed the world" the U.S. is going to have to use GMO seed to keep up with the demand of food.

Chris
Well the thing is most GMO seed is designed specifically to be sprayed with roundup etc. Basically toxins go hand in hand with GMO's so without toxins most GMO's are useless......

It's time for the world to start feeding itself if the world don't want to be full of tumors. Soon good health will be left for those who chose to grow their own non genetically altered food.

GMO means the crops have had genes inserted, in the case of the cereal grains mentioned above, genes to allow them to be resistant to Roundup or to resist parasites like certain insects that feed on corn in the larvae (caterpillar) stage. This is different from breeding different strains together to develop hybreds, as is done to produce (for example) meat birds such as cornish crosses.

Aside from questions about the wholesomeness of GMO grains, the problems with GMO crops is that:

1. The genes spread to surrounding crops, and farmers that don't use GMO seeds have been sued by Monsato for using their own seeds to plant crops after they have been infused with the modified genes (which are patented) from other farmer's nearby fields. This travesty of the justice system has been upheld in both Canada and the USA.

2. The modified genes for catarpillar resistance can spread to surrounding plants. Some of those affected are plants like Milkweed, plants that are vital for certain butterfly and moth populations to lay their eggs on. This has the potential to seriously affect the population of these insects, which are not only beautiful but also are pollinators for many different plants.

Well the thing is most GMO seed is designed specifically to be sprayed with roundup etc. Basically toxins go hand in hand with GMO's so without toxins most GMO's are useless......

It's time for the world to start feeding itself if the world don't want to be full of tumors. Soon good health will be left for those who chose to grow their own non genetically altered food.

I have to admit that I have been looking more into this "study" on Rats fed GMO Corn and cancer, from what I have read that "study" was far from being unbiased.
The rats were Sprague-Dawley rat, this breed of rat is genetically predisposed to develop cancer. The Sprague-Dawley rat has a 70 to 95.8% chance of getting cancer with in a 2 year lifespan.
The other thing is that each study only had a 10% control, I also find this odd but the rats that lived the longest out of all the rats in the study was the rats that had Round-up added to there water and they even out lived the control rats.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevens...ly-modified-corn-cause-cancer-a-flawed-study/
http://www.foodnavigator.com/Scienc...cancer-study-highlights-flawed-media-approach
http://news.discovery.com/earth/gm-corn-tumor-study-120920.html

Chris

GMO means the crops have had genes inserted, in the case of the cereal grains mentioned above, genes to allow them to be resistant to Roundup or to resist parasites like certain insects that feed on corn in the larvae (caterpillar) stage. This is different from breeding different strains together to develop hybreds, as is done to produce (for example) meat birds such as cornish crosses.

Aside from questions about the wholesomeness of GMO grains, the problems with GMO crops is that:

1. The genes spread to surrounding crops, and farmers that don't use GMO seeds have been sued by Monsato for using their own seeds to plant crops after they have been infused with the modified genes (which are patented) from other farmer's nearby fields. This travesty of the justice system has been upheld in both Canada and the USA.

2. The modified genes for catarpillar resistance can spread to surrounding plants. Some of those affected are plants like Milkweed, plants that are vital for certain butterfly and moth populations to lay their eggs on. This has the potential to seriously affect the population of these insects, which are not only beautiful but also are pollinators for many different plants.

You are absolutely right. Companies such as Monsanto and Cargill sue farmers for "infringing on their patent". The problem is that life should not be patented in the first place, because you cant control it. Non-GMO farms that neighbor Monsanto's farms have Monsantos plants on their farm. Why? They didnt steal mosantos seed, natural things such as wind and animals bring the seed over and mix it in with the rest. The poor farmers have no control over wind bringing in monsantos seeds, so they get sued for patent infringement. This isn't fair at all.

If you have a herd of cows going into your neighbors yard, Shouldn't you be responsible and build a fence? You can't sue your neighbor for stealing your cows, just cause they were on his property. If they keep escaping and breed with your neighbors cows, it is not the poor neighbors fault. They are your cows, you have to keep them contained and under control.

GMO is not safe, It is not "just like breeding", it is unnatural and shouldn't be played with. Remember when we all thought DDT was safe? Yeah....you dont see people spraying that all around the house anymore.

Last edited:
I have to admit that I have been looking more into this "study" on Rats fed GMO Corn and cancer, from what I have read that "study" was far from being unbiased.
The rats were Sprague-Dawley rat, this breed of rat is genetically predisposed to develop cancer. The Sprague-Dawley rat has a 70 to 95.8% chance of getting cancer with in a 2 year lifespan.
The other thing is that each study only had a 10% control, I also find this odd but the rats that lived the longest out of all the rats in the study was the rats that had Round-up added to there water and they even out lived the control rats.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevens...ly-modified-corn-cause-cancer-a-flawed-study/
http://www.foodnavigator.com/Scienc...cancer-study-highlights-flawed-media-approach
http://news.discovery.com/earth/gm-corn-tumor-study-120920.html

Chris

Guess we should all start drinking round up then... That was a sarcastic remark for those who don't realize.

I'm no fan of GMO's. I'm a plant breeder though and don't understand how mutated genes from one species of plant can affect other species of plant. To have mutated genes cross into other plants it has to be done through pollen from a mutated plant to another plant.

In other words corn can not pollinate milkweed. No way aint gonna happen. The only way milkweed could get mutated genetics crossed to it is if Monsato started making genetic altered milkweed. If you can't cross pollinate it, it can't get genetically altered like that. You can cross different varieties of milkweed but you can't cross into a different species....

You are absolutely right. Companies such as Monsanto and Cargill sue farmers for "infringing on their patent". The problem is that life should not be patented in the first place, because you cant control it. Non-GMO farms that neighbor Monsanto's farms have Monsantos plants on their farm. Why? They didnt steal mosantos seed, natural things such as wind and animals bring the seed over and mix it in with the rest. The poor farmers have no control over wind bringing in monsantos seeds, so they get sued for patent infringement. This isn't fair at all.

If you have a herd of cows going into your neighbors yard, Shouldn't you be responsible and build a fence? You can't sue your neighbor for stealing your cows, just cause they were on his property. If they keep escaping and breed with your neighbors cows, it is not the poor neighbors fault. They are your cows, you have to keep them contained and under control.

GMO is not safe, It is not "just like breeding", it is unnatural and shouldn't be played with. Remember when we all thought DDT was safe? Yeah....you dont see people spraying that all around the house anymore.

Exactly and how is it that Monsato gets away with raping a farmers pure heirloom genetics? Talk about corruption.....

Sixty-one countries in the world require food labeling that specifies the presence of GMO food products, including China and India.
Californians will be voting for a ballot measure that mandates genetically modified food be properly labelled.
I believe that people have a basic right to know what is in our food, and hope that if this passes in California, it will spread throughout the rest of the country.
I'm not arguing for or against GMO's, I would just like to know what is in my food and the food I feed the animals in my care.

Back
Top Bottom