Is there something wrong with my chicks???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by leasmom, Apr 19, 2009.

1. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    I have 18 meat birds who are doing very strangely. They are pecking at their feathers or eachothers feathers because there are a few bald spots on some. They all have large bubbles under their skin at their necks. What is going on with them??? My tiny aracauna doesnt have the missing feathers but she has the bulge at the neck. Help please!!!! I'm feeding them Dumor brand chick starter.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    I think you are talking about their crop. It is where the feed goes to be stored until it is ready to start the digestion process.

My cornish x have blad spots too. They grow so fast the feathers can't keep up. As long as they are not pecking each other and bringing blood I think you are fine.

I have 6 meat birds and they are a breed apart. They are unlike any other chicken I have ever raised.
    They just started flapping their wings and trying to fly across the tractor. They are so heavy they do not get off the ground but they have fun trying.

Darin

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  3. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    Okay. What about the feather picking?

4. Darin115

Darin115 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Asheboro, NC
    Mine have bald spots as well but it is nt from picking feathers. It is from growing so fast that the feathers can't keep up.

How are you feeding them? Feed 24/7 or 12 on and 12 off?

Darin

5. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Maybe they need a larger home. Meat birds get big very quickly, they may just need a bit more room to walk around in.

6. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    I'm feeding them 12 on and 12 off. And they just look like that because they are growing so fast? They look so odd...The larger space sounds right. Hmm...this is my first time with meat birds. I successfully raised alot of chicks before but never them.

7. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

They can be quite bizarre looking as they get older - don't look at them too much. Think oven roasted ... mmmmm.... [​IMG]

8. leasmom

May 25, 2008
    Happy Hensny-LOL!!! Right now I'm thinking...odd, weird, yucky...but I will have to think roasted like you said.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Think of the bare areas as just that much less to pluck [​IMG]

Pat

10. crazy for chicken

crazy for chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Voorheesville
    [​IMG]I had 2 of those pigs last fall they don't have fluff yes they look like they are missing feathers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by