Is there such a thing as too many treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kara_leigh, Jun 13, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    My chickens are 12 weeks old, and they free range. They do get free access to grower feed during the day, which they eat quite a bit. Most days I also give them oatmeal, some grapes, and sometimes spaghetti or sliced up tomato. Is that to much? I spread it out throughout the day, so they don't get it all at once. I just don't know if I'm feeding them too much.

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:No, you're feeding them just fine! Keep up the good work! [​IMG] [​IMG]

~ Aspen

3. Lucky chickies! [​IMG]

4. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Okay good! I thought I was turning them into pigs. Maybe they'll start oinking soon. haha

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Sounds like an excellent diet. [​IMG]

6. LUVMY5HENS

LUVMY5HENS Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    I thought acidic foods like tomatoes were not good for chickens? I have never given to my girls, is it ok for them?

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I sure hope not because my ten youngsters LOVE treats! Today, they got two big, lanky lettuce plants in the morning (heat turns them bitter to humans but apparently they taste fine to chickens!) They got a few hours of outside time during which they ate who knows what. I lured them back to the coop with a half cup of rolled oats. They were thrown numerous small grasshoppers and a few cicadas during the day. And then when I went to check on them just before they go to roost, they ran to the fence and peeped so loudly that I felt guilty about showing up empty-handed so I picked a big handful of dandelion greens to throw in. Do you think they have me trained or what?!

Somehow they still find room for their crumbles!

8. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    My girls got carrot tops, some grasshoppers, a dinner roll from last night's dinner and a head of cabbage.
    Mine also come to the fence when they see me coming, looking to see what I may have.[​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    IMO, you can go overboard with treats. As chicks they need the balanced diet of their starter/grower feed to develop to their full potential. As laying hens, a diet that's not balanced can affect laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by