Is there such a thing as too much "other" food?

I read an article on the care and feeding of chickens that said that small flocks allowed free-range time self-regulate their foods pretty well. Supplements were offered independent of food and those who needed it ate and those who were okay ignored the supplements. Nature is a wonderous system that was well-designed by Somebody
wink.png

Agilityscots, I shop our local farmers market here, and I don't worry so much about organic or not right now since our farmers market is so small. I just want my local $ to stay local, and am enjoying some VERY fresh veggies.
I noticed that Kroger is about to do more organic but I'll bet it's CA organic and not local organic. Right now local matters more to me.

Last edited:
Hi Wegotchickens!

We have many, many farmers' markets here in central Ohio, and we're lucky that they all have at least some organic farmers. At the market I go to, I would say that 70% of the farmers there are organic! Very exciting. And I agree, Kroger's is carrying lots more organic, but it's California organic...and I don't want all that oil in my food.
big_smile.png
Even at Wild Oats, where I shop, their organics are often from Haiti, South America, etc. I'm trying really hard to buy in season fruits and veggies only.

I just discovered that we have a local organic mill owned by a husband/wife team and bought some of their pancake mix at my market a few weeks ago; it makes the BEST pancakes I've ever tasted, which is saying a lot, since I don't really like pancakes! It's so exciting to find a good local producer and to put your money right in their pocket.

Amy

Hi Agilityscots, you are very lucky!
We may not have many farmers markets, but I've really enjoyed watching ours grow as more farmers clued in to the fact that there is a customer base to work with here. Used to be I was one of a dozen people there at 8am. Now there are 20-30 customers there at 8am. And the vendors have increased along with the customers. It's been so cool to watch this happen. Only one truck advertises as being totally organic, but I expect this will grow.

My favorite local find is all the local honey. I have allergies and I really do think it makes a difference. Haven't had a bad sinus infection in over a year, and I used to get one every time the seasons changed!

(My peeps love leftover biscuits with local honey on them. WHoever said they don't like sweets hasn't watched my girls fighting for the sticky biscuits and ignoring the plain ones!)

Last edited:
Wegotchickens, that IS cool!

I guess I'm lucky because I live in a major metropolitan area (Columbus, population of 1 million) that happens to be in the heart of farm country. Apparently farmers' markets are on the rise nationally and have been increasing since the FDA allowed direct sales from farmers to market (geez) in the '70s.

We have an Amish honey farmer (I suppose that's what he's called?? beekeeper?) but I haven't tried his honey yet since I still have some in the cupboard from the store; you've inspired me to give his a try. He makes an amazing array of honey and beeswax-based products. Why do you think your honey helped with allergies? I too have terrible allergies/asthma and just got over a sinus infection about a month ago...I'd love to hear how honey can help.

Glad someone asked the original question. I was wondering the same thing.

Today I expanded the run by almost 100%, so there was lots of new grass available. And I fed some leftover watermelon, and some lettuce. So the feed choice this evening included starter/grower, bugs, grass, clover, watermelon, and lettuce.

I don't know if it was a matter of preference, or what exactly, but most of them ate a little of the starter/grower and finished up on grass, clover, and bugs. Of course, the watermelon was wiped out first of all. But they didn't finish the usual amount of feed today.

Quite frankly, without having a "scientific" answer, I tend to think that if chickens are given a wide variety of healthy things to eat, they will be fairly healthy and produce meat and eggs that are healthful to eat. I guess I keep thinking back to how my grandma and great-grandma did it, and I am sure they didn't BUY feed way back when. When I was growing up, the chickens did very well, I do remember that.

Now, if I'd had 20 pounds of watermelon to offer, I think that would be a bad thing for me to do, because they just plain LIKE watermelon so much they'd fill up on that before eating ANYthing else. Same with blueberries. But when they get a bunch of different things (which I give them as often as I can) they go through and eat some of everything. I wish my daughter would eat as well! (Without the bugs, of course!)

trish

And I'll have to try offering some honey on biscuits, now that you mentioned it!

I work at a health food store, and we have a number of people who buy the local honey for the sake of allergies. They tell me it works well for them. They keep buying it at any rate.
smile.png

trish

Quote:
RIGHT SPOT ON!

I see my chickens turn away from excess amounts of anything I give them. I don't need science to know I have healthy chickens that self regulate their diet. As a matter of fact, they hardly touch their feed.

I think where the problem lies, is when chickens are NOT freeranged. They'll take the treats, and not have the choice later to balance themselves out.

Sandra

Back
Top Bottom