Is this a bad idea?

If you are going to "tractor" meat birds and set it up to monitor / visit every few days, it may work out for you. Anything else woud have too many chances for things to go wrong.

I agree it is not a good idea. With almost any animal, something could go wrong in an instant and there would be nothing you could do about it. And chickens are always on the menu for altogether too many other critters.

Quote:
X754785749579

there is so much that goes on. emergencies and such. just build a nice sound-proof coop and keep em with you ; ]

I would suggest you wait to get your chickens. I have been traveling between our farm and home for a few yrs now--only 20min. away--- and it gets old FAST! I had only the garden and honeybees.. and I found it became easy to put off going as often as I really should have... And the bees need much less attention than chickens. So much can happen in a short time.. EVEN w/ cameras and the web...it would have been too late to get their if they were under attack. They need to have unfrozen water every day during winter, they need fresh water every day during the summer heat.. eggs need to be gather...etc.. May I suggest you start fighting city hall for the right to keep a few chickens..IT will be easier and cheaper in the long run... Good luck.

Quote:
X754785749579

there is so much that goes on. emergencies and such. just build a nice sound-proof coop and keep em with you ; ]

Yea Im going that route for now. I dont like the distance neither. Im experienced with building automated hydroponics sytems that move fresh water and nutrients to plants on timers but Its not enough in this situation. Right now I let the females out in the morning. In my backyard. Then around 12:30 the roosters go out. They dont cockadoodle at that hour anymore for the rest of the day so Im lucky there. Then at night they all walk to my back door and I let them in. Thanks for all the input guys. It helped.

Back
Top Bottom