1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this a bantam Barred Rock???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mikarod, Oct 18, 2008.

1. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

I have the above Barred Rock...and her size is monstrous compared to the D'Uccle cockerel and the other two Barred Rock bantams.

She's the same age (4-5 months) as the other birds but her size is throwing me off?

Is she a bantam or a standard?

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    she does look quite a bit bigger. I'd say you got a genetic anomaly or someone threw a standard in there!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've never seen a standard BR with barring that crisp, even at shows. Hard to tell, but if she's as large as your D'Uccle, I'd say not a bantam.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    She looks like a standard. If she came from bantams then "cjeanean" could be right that she is just a genetic anomally.

If you got them as chicks, then I would guess someone screwed up and put a standard baby in with your order.

Matt

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  5. mikarod

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Nah..someone got it RIGHT! lol! We were supposed to get Standards and got bantams instead!

Not just as big as my D'Uccle...passes him. She looks like she could be the parent to the other Barred Rocks in the pen. She's just not growing anymore...and she's not anywhere NEAR the size of my standard birds (NONE are Barred Rocks.)

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    where did you get those???? The barring is great! I dearly want a roo like that. Got eggs?

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    That is a standard. I have seen many standard brs with great barring like that, they are absolutely stunning as adults!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Julie, thank you for posting that picture. I had seen an occasional pic or two of those wonderful BRs, but never in person, except in bantam size.

9. mikarod

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'm hoping for standard...but she just isn't growing anymore?

I'm going to be getting some standards with good barring like that in December!!!! hehehee!

No eggs...the only bantam rooster I have is a Self-Blue D'Uccle who followed my car.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by