Is this a Beak Injury?

chickenzz

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2021
Our barred plymouth rock pullet (hatched June 2021) has some damage to the very tip of her beak.
Is this an injury or a normal process like molting?

Some of the other pullets have little cracks on their beaks sometimes but none of them have damage to the tip. The cracks are always in the spot where (if chickens wore glasses) that I imagine the bridge of a pair of glasses would rest.

The pullet in question does seem like her beak is more sensitive now. We hand-feed our girls greens and fruits as treats. She does not peck at them as often or with as much enthusiasm as before. When she does go for a treat, she holds her beak open for a few moments after as if in discomfort.

She seems to still be eating normally and will enthusiastically take bite-sized treats without issue.

Other information about our flock:
Total number of birds: 5 pullets from the same chick order
Habitat: enclosed 8 ft x 8 ft pen with attached coop
Diet:
June-September: chick crumbles​
October-November: All-Flock pellets and oyster shell offered in a different container​
Now: Layer crumbles with oyster shell available​

We would love some insight into the following:
  • is this normal or is it an injury?
  • does it need any immediate attention (cleaning, diet supplements, etc.)
  • if it is an injury, what might have caused it?

Pictures are below. Thank you!

Celeste Beak 1.jpg

Celeste Beak 2.jpg

I know several hens who have run into things out of fear and such who broke their beaks/ fractured them and stuff. This looks like it broke or cracked and is just still hanging there. I dont remember exactly what they did but they kept an eye on them and after a while they healed up fine and were able to eat/drink again normally. Right now its still a fresh wound so its going to be very sensitive. Maybe soak some feed so its easier to eat and softer and such on the area.

Some of the other pullets have little cracks on their beaks sometimes but none of them have damage to the tip. The cracks are always in the spot where (if chickens wore glasses) that I imagine the bridge of a pair of glasses would rest.
It's an injury. The quick is exposed. I would leave it alone, it will be very tender for several days until it hardens up. The outer beak will probably grow back in.

You mention your other pullets have cracks in their beaks too. Are they reaching through wire to get at snacks, grass, etc. ?

It's not that uncommon for a bird to injure their beak every once in a while, getting it hung on a feeder, in wire, pecking at something hard, etc., but if you are noticing consistent injuries, then it's a good idea to investigate what may be happening.

Thank you everyone for your replies--this is our first flock and we are so grateful to have this community.

Her beak looks like it is healing well and we have been offering her mash in addition to the crumbles.

Their run is completely enclosed with hardware cloth, so we are going to trim back any temptations they may have to peck at on the other side and have made some other adjustments with their feeders and the enclosure to hopefully reduce their chances of injury.

My hens beak grew right back, but we had to make sure she was eating. She broke hers bigger then yours, but not as deep.

Back
Top Bottom