Is this a black Runner or Swedish?

So Many Everything

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2021

The little duckling is 23 days old in this video (from yesterday). Zipped out Sept. 23 out of a large, ever-so-slightly blue tinged egg. It's not a great pic but you can see here (the bigger/darker one) - when she started zipping.

IMG_4894.jpeg

It is an only one so I have nothing to compare to as far as male/female. The eggs were all different and were picked up from a rescue yard with many varieties. They just walked around picking up eggs and gave them to us. Could also be a mix.

The little duckling is sooooo sweet and I'm in love :)

Her set up is different now, but the following 5 pics were from a week ago (so approx. 2 weeks old) but are good close ups. I had no idea how fast they grew!! It's one thing to read about it, another too see it!! On FB, others have said possibly female, and possibly Swedish because of the patch. Cayuga is was not a popular choice, Runner and Swedish were popular, with Swedish more favourable. She was alway very black but is lightening up a bit recently. What do you think?

IMG_4700.jpeg
IMG_4701.jpeg
IMG_4706.jpeg

IMG_4703.jpeg
IMG_4704.jpeg

I'd say black swedish, and the lightening of her fluff may be because she's at the age where they shed a little bit of baby fluff (or it just looks paler) as big girl feathers come in.

Can you get a video of the duckling walking? What did it look like after hatching?
I'm leaning black runner or cayuga. It actually doesn't have the right coloring for a black swedish duckling nor the right feet color.

She has the build similar to a runner, but with a bib. I would guess a runner x black swedish which would give her the runner stature genetics and the bib genetics. As a side note her water dish needs to be deep enough for her to dunk her head which is most likely why her eye appears a little irritated. Also how long is she in the plastic container/brooder for? Hopefully not long as that is entirely too small for her.

Can you get a video of the duckling walking? What did it look like after hatching?
I'm leaning black runner or cayuga. It actually doesn't have the right coloring for a black swedish duckling nor the right feet color.

Video at 24 days old.

I know, right? The feet are throwing me off so I keep getting confused. Likely a mix I'm sure, as all the ducks are together

Back
Top Bottom