Is this a broody chicken poop?!

brookeharris94

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2020
Hi I’m just wondering if this chicken poop is a broody hen poop? I watched her lay it and she’s been laying on the nest of eggs for a few days but I catch her off of it from time to time. I thought at first she was trying to get away from a rooster that really loves her. (Working on a ratio problem) Don’t mind the super muddy run we have had down pour thunderstorm like 4 days in a row. Thank you!

Attachments

• 79CA189E-5AE1-4ADB-BF6C-8F99172BF67C.jpeg
    79CA189E-5AE1-4ADB-BF6C-8F99172BF67C.jpeg
    525.4 KB · Views: 32
Hi I’m just wondering if this chicken poop is a broody hen poop? I watched her lay it and she’s been laying on the nest of eggs for a few days but I catch her off of it from time to time. I thought at first she was trying to get away from a rooster that really loves her. (Working on a ratio problem) Don’t mind the super muddy run we have had down pour thunderstorm like 4 days in a row. Thank you!
Looks like one to me. As for the super muddy run have you tried adding a thick layer of wood chips to your run?

Looks like one to me. As for the super muddy run have you tried adding a thick layer of wood chips to your run?
Thank you! And no I haven’t we are moving soon and will be building a new coop and run and hopes to have a better drainage! This one now is on a bottom of a hill with scrap wood and it’s a big thicker piece so the water gets trapped in nice and muddy and smelly after it rains a few days 😭🤣

IDK?
I'd be more inclined to think she's broody by her sitting on a nest for days over what her sh!t looks like but I'm old school like that.
Well like I said she tries to hide from the rooster at the moment and I catch her off of the nest . I was also gone the last few nights so I haven’t seen if she has been roosting or sitting on the nest throughout the night. I haven’t seen if she has plucked out her feathers and I just saw her poop like this and the fact that this is my first (possible broody) I thought I was ask people that new a bit more than me but I guess that’s just how I am. Thinking I could ask a simple question thank you.

If she's hiding from the rooster and for that reason doesn't come out often would her sh!t look different then it would if she wasn't coming out often because she's broody?
Point is imo a cr@p pile isn't gonna confirm a broody.

Some of my non-broody birds drop turds that big.

Here's my go-to signs of a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

Back
Top Bottom