Is this a Buff Orp, New Hamp or something else?

upacreek

Hatching
11 Years
May 5, 2008
Hi.

I'm sort of a chick newbie. I've had chickens for 8 years for eggs & bug control, but rarely ever dealt with chicks. I recently picked up some chicks at one of the local Feed Stores and had to get an assortment of chicks since they were out of all the breeds I wanted.

I was told a specific chick was a Buff Orpington and another chick was a New Hampshire. They don't seem to fit the descriptions I have seen on the internet though...

The chicks are about 6-7 weeks old in these photos taken today. According to the Feed Store, in the shot with the Barred Rock, the chick on the far left is the New Hampshire and the chick in the middle is the Buff Orpington.

I suspect the one on the left is really the Buff Orpington. If that is the case, is the other chick the New Hampshire or something else?

050508_02a.jpg
050508_41a.jpg
050508_43a.jpg

Thank you for any input!

The one with the facial hair looks easter eggy to me too. Lucky you blue and green eggies! I jusst got 5 of them. Not even a week old yet. I cant wait for thhe eggs.

Thank you all for the replies!

I just KNEW those chicks didn't look right when he said what breed they were. Since they had so few chicks left, I chose them instead of their tiny "Mystery Bantams" with feathered legs.

I'm glad to learn the Easter Egger is not going to turn buff or brown! I'm rather fond of her coloring!

I agree the one on the left looks like a Buff and the middle is an EE. We love those green eggs.
yippiechickie.gif

Guess my bad luck of most of the chicks being sold out turned into good luck with these two girls!
big_smile.png

Now I'm curious if the Feed Store sold a whole slew of Easter Eggers as Buff Orpingtons or New Hampshires and how many people are going to be surprised/upset? There were no bins labeled EE/Ameraucana/Araucana/whatever.

Back
Top Bottom